Help picking the right headphone
Feb 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

eadon08

New Head-Fier
Ok so I have been scouring the internet for the past two months trying to determine the right headphones to use.  I've heard many times that the DT 770's are really good headphones with bass.  So here's kinda what I'm looking for/using them with:  

1) Bass -  i want a good full sized headphone that has bass comparable to Dre Beats, but not drowned out like the beats are.

2) On the go - Im a college student so I am always walking to class, and moving around, so I need something that can work well with my android/ipad/laptop.  I am also in the studio alot working on projects, so I need to have some what of a closed headphone so I do not disturb others around me.

3) I would like to listen to these when I play video games, and feel immersed in my game, just like the surround sound I currently have for my tv.

4) I listen to alot of different kinds of music, but recently have been listening to dub step, techno, some rap, and other music like vampire weekend, animal collective, and miike snow.

5) My price range is around 250, Im just tryin to find the best suitable headphones, so if i can do it for 150 or 200 thats awesome.

So, doing my research I have come up with the DT 770's 32 ohm, the Shure SRH840, the Ortofon 0-One, and the Ultrasound Pro 550... 

Like I said Ive been leaning towards the 770's based on all the reviews, but I am very careful before I spend money, so I kinda wanted some advice from people that know all the about headphones. 

thanks everyone...

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 3
You don't want the Premium 32 Ohm DT 770. They Premium 32/250/600 Ohm models are different from the Pro 80 Ohm one, which is the bass-heavy one. The Premiums are bass neutral.

The only thing that the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm falls shot on is that they are not easily portable with phones and laptops as they need a portable headphone amp at least to get the real deal out of them.

Other than that, Ultrasones are also very good and much more friendly unamped.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Ever looked into the Phiaton Ms400? Definitely known for bass, more portable than the Beyers, I'm just not sure of their soundstage. Also I use the Ultrasone Pro 750 and they are fantastic. The bass is plenty and tight and also I'm noticing parts of songs that I've never heard before! For portable use they're decent. I can't comment on the Pro 550s however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back