Help picking out a basic pocket amp for travel cans.
Aug 5, 2009 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ajreynol

100+ Head-Fier
topic.

what would you all recommend?

I was scouting the JBS Labs Bass Boost Cmoy as well as biosciencegeek's offering Cmoy on ebay...but only because I'm familiar with them when I briefly looked into pocket amps a few years back.

Are either of these good buys, or is there something better to put about $60 into for a starter pocket amp?

only real requirement I need other than good amp performance is the ability to hook it into a wall for power when I'm not on the go.

Thanks, guys.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 15
anyone?
frown.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 15
When I travel, I use either the Shure e3c or the Sony MDR-7509HD. Both of those run fine straight out of my iPod, so that's all I take. The iPod can charge off my laptop, so that keeps cables and accessories to a minimum.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm in the process of securing new cans.

narrowing the field down between:

Beyerdynamic DT 250/80ohm
AKG K 271 MKII
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A
Audio Technica a900
Denon D2000

...and selling off the On Ear's. Needless to say, I'm thinking all of those could benefit. I listened to the DT770's recently at a music store...and I have to say they sounded pleasant, but my iPod couldn't power them well enough to appreciate their abilities. So I'm hoping to take an amp into the store the next time I go so that I can re-listen to those phones, get the proper experience, and go from there.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 15
is that the one in your avy? if so, where might i find the directions to DIY (or someone who builds them)?

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 15
the mini3 is smaller but it might be harder to build, given how small it is.

the pimeta1 was a very easy build for me and unless you really like the challenge of 'small space' the pimeta is the better one to start with, starting out.

if tangent still has pimeta1 boards (I don't know) then I would get one of those.

another thing I like about less cramped boards is that its easier to repair them, later on. to me, that matters.

if you have an experienced builder, it won't matter; but for most people, I would gamble that the pimeta is the easier build, overall. sound wise, they're not far apart. both are 3 channel active ground designs and both use op-amps and buffers.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 15
interesting. will look into those.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 15
I just did a mini^3 build for a friend of mine. Parts total came out just a few cents shy of $130, but that included the $40 for the panel set, so figure $90 for a mini^3 build if you drill your own panels.

The only thing that makes the build difficult is the surface mount chips, but they are really not that bad. Besides, if you are getting into DIY electronics today, you are going to have to start doing SMT sooner or later.

I haven't heard any of the other DIY portable amps, so I'm not going to try to compare the sound, but the mini^3 will not disappoint SQ wise.

nine

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
building a mini3 for 60$ would be tough.

I did think of that but then won't a Pimeta cost more than $60 and less portable to boot? I was answering in the spirit of comparing with the Pimeta. But I agree, it will blow the budget.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 15
you can build a pimeta for as little as you want. leave some features out, as well. you can use a pimeta board and essentially have a cmoy from it if you can't afford buffers (or don't want to bother or even can't find the chips in stock). all chips are socketed so you can play around and upgrade over time. I like that idea.

the pimeta is a bit bigger, and so if size matters that much, the mini3 wins there
wink.gif

if you are building your own, a cmoy can make sense. but if you're going to buy something, I'd set the bar a bit higher.

btw, I was wrong about the mini3; its not the same buffered design as the pimeta. mini3 is 'self buffering' so to speak; whereas the pimeta uses outboard chips (2nd chips) to do the actual phones driving. that's one reason why the pimeta is a bit bigger, physically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back