help picking out a <$50 pair hps
Oct 29, 2002 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

smerkor

New Head-Fier
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I dont know squat about headphones and I need some help. I need a new pair, would like to keep it under 50 dollars or so. I am only going to use these on my computer listening to music and games. Would like a pair where those around me would not hear the music. What your opinion on the best pair that meets this criteria and where could i buy them for the best price. Thanks

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 15
sony ex70 ear bud/canal phone...

sounds good, blocks out a lot of noise...

$50 or less on ebay, or look on yahoo.com shopping or magnolia hifi....

aiwa hp-v600..

$25 amazon.com
like ex70

sony V6:

sounds great, but $65 on yahoo.com shopping.

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Did I see where someone said the Sennheiser HD497s were $48 on Amazon? If so, it sounds like a no-brainer to me. These are open phones though, but not too open. Whether anyone around will hear will depend on how loud you run them and how close the other people are.

Otherwise, just jump up to $60 or $65 and get the V6s. These are closed.

You could try the Sony MDR-CD180s for $20, I like these, but it's a long, long step down from the 497s or V6s.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 15
HD-497
few days after i got mine, i found out my dad has access to them (and a bunch of other phonez) wholesale, 41 vs 66 shipped.
frown.gif

i love em tho, i'd say get em, even if amazon does say 'ships in 1-2 weeks", why i never buy from them..lol,

Oct 30, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by smerkor
these are a bit more expensive, but what about the hd 280 pro?

You're gonna want a big ole amplifier for that. The 280s require quite a bit of power to drive them, and I don't think a computer output of any kind really does that justice.

My question for you is do you care about what kinds of headphones they are? Do you like small ear buds that literally fit in your ear like the Sony EX70s? Or do you want big ole phones like the Sennheiser HD280 pros? If big headphones, I'd go back to the suggestion made by a1leyez0nm3 and save up for a pair of Sony MDR-V6. I don't know enough about earbuds to make a suggestion though.

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 15
i do know that i dont want earbuds. I like the larger ones like the 280's, i guess its really not that important if others around me can hear or if i can hear them, sounds like my best bet for the money is the 497's.... correct me if im wrong... as for the sony's... i dont know anything about them except that my last pair and my friends pair was a 20 dollar pair from walmart and they both crapped out after very little time. im sure comparing these to the v6's is apples and oranges... but this is all i have to go on when considering sony hps

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 15
The sony V6 is one of the most durable phones around from what people here say. They sound pretty good too. My only real complaint was the small sound stage. If the typical "in your head" feel you get with most all cheaper phones doesn't other you if the sound quality is good, than they are a very good choice. They run very well off portables too. The 497 seems like a good choice too if you want to spend a little less or want open phones. I can't tell you anything about them from experience, but people say they sound ok and they apparently have much better sound staging than the V6s. Not that hard to do though. The HD 280 would also be a good choice. From what I've heard here, they seem like the V6's big half brother. They have more sound stage and better sound stage too. Of the phones that have been named here, they will get the most bennifit from an amp, however they should run fine out of most portables and almost any sound card. They do take a little more juice than the others though. My guess is that you wouldn't be able to put your finger on what ever you were missing and would think that they sounded great. The 280s are also closed and isolate a lot of noise. If you want that, they are a good choice. I'm trying to gather more info on them in relation to the V6 and other such offerings for my friend, while I'm pretty well set to buy HD 590s for my self when I get a tad more cash. The 280s are in the $80-100 range though, so that may put them outside your realm of considderation anyway.

The best thing I can think of to tell a fellow newbie is to considder the V6 a fairly safe buy and go from there. Also, make sure not to confuse them witht the newer and lower quality V600. Good luck.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 15
the 280s will work fine and are practicaly as easy powered as the V6 (the 280 is 64 ohm, the V6 is 63 ohm i think). the 280 in my opinion is better than the V6 in terms of sound quality, but the V6 is slightly cheaper the last time i checked. the 280 also has more isolation than the V6. the 280 can usually be found for $75-100 on anywhere from ebay, yahoo.com shopping, pricegrabber.com to headphone.com. i recommend either one (V6 or 280). if isolation is not a problem, you may be satisfied with the 497, which has some characteristics as the 280. good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back