Help photography nuts! Gift advice needed
Nov 29, 2002 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
Knowing there are a good number of head-fiers interested in photography I figured I'd ask for help here. I need some help selecting a gift for my sister. She has a Canon elos 7e body and a few lenses at the moment, but only has a small carrying case. I know she plans to go further into photography, so her lens/body assortment should grow over time.

I thought getting her a nice case to for all her equipement would be a good idea, one that would allow her to carry all her lenses and camera body at the same time and keep the well protected. One with room for 4+ lenses, body, and a decent sized flash is what I'm thinking about, but I really don't know where to start. Any suggestions, brands to avoid, ect?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and I don't really want to spend >$100

Nov 29, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Capt, i've been using Tamrac camera cases for 15 years or so and they are top quality and durable. They make a variety of camera cases of different sizes and shapes...
Tamrac

I don't have Lowepro cases but they are also very highly regarded by photographers...
Lowepro

Check out B&H Photo...they carry just about all makes of bags and anything else photography
B&H Photo

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 10
Oh, she has plenty of filters. She works at a photography shop so she gets insane prices on them. Sorry I forgot about them.

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Do you want a hard case or a bag?

Lowepro are good for bags, and Pelikan make some top notch cases.

Alternately, lots of places sell foam-filled aluminium suitcases. You can remove the foam in little squares to make holes for all the components, and you get a very cool custom hard case.

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 10
I've got a Tamrac case too. It seems well made, has a pocket for filters, and there are dividers with velcro that can be re-arranged to fit your camera/lenses/accessories. I believe it's the model 706 (under "bags for one 35mm body and 0-5 lenses") and I'm almost positive that it was under $100.

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 10
If she ever does any hiking or nature photography, I think Tamrac makes some really nice backpack style camera carriers. They protect evverything quite well, have velcro to change around compartment sizes, and carry your lunch to boot!!!

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 10
Another idea if she doesn't have it is a monopod. These are great for longer shots when stability counts but you can not be dragging a tripod around. A cheap (but useful) device is a beanbag for setting the camera on.

I was always picky about my bags and wanted to select my own. Arrangement of pockets and size is so personal. They also make lens cases that would allow her to carry an extra lens when going light. Saves you carrying the entire bag along when conditions don't permit.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the responses, I am currently thinking about getting the tamrac 608.

I just found out she has a similarly sized bag that came with her body, but it doesn't have any dividers in it and is therefor kinda useless for carrying multiple lenses.

The monopod would be a good idea, I'm just not sure yet.

Squirt, she is actually moving to Hawaii, so if you can think of anything that you have found to be especially helpful out there...

Dec 3, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Frances Camera is/was probably the best equiped photography store here but truthfully i much prefered to get stuff from B&H or Adorama where i could get better prices but i've been out of photography to any real degree for many years now so i'm not very current...i still have 4 Tamrac cases that have served me so well in years past and have proven very durable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back