Help out a noob? HD215s are surprisingly horrible.
Aug 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Megatetrahedron

New Head-Fier
Hi forum.

I've been using a pair of HD215s in sweet ignorant bliss for a few years now. Thank god that the cable got damaged, because this forced me to switch to the only other pair of cans in the house, the Philips HP840.

The difference blew me out of the water. The HP840 is superior in every way, and by leaps and bounds. To me, they make the HD215s sound like I've been listening to music with my ears stuffed full of toilet paper.

Unfortunately the headband on the HP840 is damaged and it's hella uncomfortable. I've been trying to buy another pair, but they're proving impossible to find new.

Based on a friend's recommendation, I'm leaning towards a Creative Aurvana Live, followed by a Philips SHP8900, but I am open to any ideas so long as it's available in New Zealand.

My upper limit is $200NZD or $140USD or €110 or £90 but of course I'd like to stay as far below that as possible.

Whatever you recommend, it'll primarily need to be good for watching movies and be comfortable as I'll be using it for long listening sessions. Of course they'll also be used a lot for music, which mainly involves post-rock and post-metal, basically a lot of bass is needed without sacrificing detail or clear high notes. There really aren't any other important factors.

Your expertise is appreciated.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 11
A700's have better soundstage than M50's. And they are great for rock/metal genres. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 11
ive listened to one.

after listened to HD215,  and its true that the HD215 is more comfortable, and i have a really big head.
the SQ from the M50 just blew me out.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Just be careful. I must stress how important it is not to judge them immediately.

At first I was like 
basshead.gif

But then I was like 
happy_face1.gif

And now I'm like 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back