Help on the Care and Feeding of Woodies
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maverickronin

Headphoneus Supremus
I didn't see any relevant looking threads on the first 9 or 10 pages for the searches "wood wax" or "wood polish" so I I figured I'd start my own thread and ask.

I've got a pair of D5000s coming in tomorrow and I was wondering if there was a consensus on how best to protect the finish.  Is there a particular brand or variety of wax and/or polish that is best to use or does it depend on finish of the individual headphones?  I've never dealt with any sort of wood finish other than regular paint so I have no idea where to start.

Thank you in advance!

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 6
I use Old English Lemon Oil on my Grado RS-2's with great success.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 6
No, use a proper furniture wax on your headphones. You'll want beeswax. There are a number of recipies for making your own, but one I like is Briwax. You can find it at woodworking stores, some antique shops and Rockler.

The spray-on stuff is terrible. It makes things shiny, but attracts dust and turns into crud. I wouldn't use a car wax, either, since they're formulated for paint.

You won't want to wax them that often, either. The finish is probably a water-based polymer. Most of the time, you'll just want to wipe it off with a damp cloth. Don't overdo the cleaning. Some audiophiles take things too far. Though not a problem with wax, some have applied so much cleaner to tube sockets, etc., that it shorts out and ruins the amp.

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
You might want to take it easy, too, with whatever method/product you do choose. The gold lettering has a tendency to rub off, unlike the D7000, which has a clear coating that seals in the stenciling.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
You might want to take it easy, too, with whatever method/product you do choose. The gold lettering has a tendency to rub off, unlike the D7000, which has a clear coating that seals in the stenciling.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.  I'm hoping some sort of wax/polish, applied sparingly, can protect it from that sort of thing.

I think I'm going to look int some sort of beeswax.  Thanks UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back