Help on new headphone!
Nov 23, 2008 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dkcan

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking to buy a fairly good portable headphone around $100-$200 (a bit over is fine). Some people I know suggested me Audio Technica ATH-Pro700, Bose Oe, Ultrasone HFI-580 and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro but since I own very few headphones I have no idea what to choose. Not to mention, I have no access to trying any of the headphones above. So! I need your help on choosing the best one out of above or suggest me a suitable headphone. I don't mind the size but I don't plan on carrying a portable amp so that should narrow the choices down. I listen to many genres so it's hard to pick but I want to hear a drastic change from my Sennheiser PX200 so surprise me!
Thanks in advance!

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkcan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I'm looking to buy a fairly good portable headphone around $100-$200 (a bit over is fine). Some people I know suggested me Audio Technica ATH-Pro700, Bose Oe, Ultrasone HFI-580 and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro but since I own very few headphones I have no idea what to choose. Not to mention, I have no access to trying any of the headphones above. So! I need your help on choosing the best one out of above or suggest me a suitable headphone. I don't mind the size but I don't plan on carrying a portable amp so that should narrow the choices down. I listen to many genres so it's hard to pick but I want to hear a drastic change from my Sennheiser PX200 so surprise me!
Thanks in advance!

I would stay away from bose, as the sound quality doesn't scale with price like most other headphones talked about here. You can always find a better phone SQ wise for the same price or less.

I would recommend the ATH-ES7. They are about $150, semi portable, need no amplification (but they benefit from a $10 fiio amp if you ever feel so inclined) and are very good all rounders. I am trying to decide between them and the ATH-ESW9 (much more costly upgrade) right now, myself.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 16
I don't recommend the Blose. It sounded good only on singers who constantly caterwaul (rather than sing).

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 16
The AT's sound great, but the ESW9 does not isolate so well. I don't know about the ES7. I ride trains a lot and the added sound quality is lost due to poor isolation. All-in-all, my IEMS (500PTH) work best as portables. If you are a bit bold you might try an Ultrasone 750 or 780. They are a bit bulkier than your typical portable, but they do sound great and isolate well. If I am going to be on the train for a while, the 780s do me nicely, but I would feel a bit self-conscious walking around wearing them. The AT's, especially the new 10's are serious eye-candy; just wish the isolated better.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 16
BOSE is fine, should be much better than your PX200 in regards to BASS, but wont be as clear or detailed (just congestion) Also much more comfortable and stylish.

in this case depends on what u want thou, Open, Closed, On Ear or Over Ear style.

Open sounds much better but will isolate poorly and disturb others

Closed wont be as good like your PX200 very boxed in.

I would second the ATH-ES7 as a good Onear portable for sound, but wont be comfortable after an hour or so (depends on your head size)

The Ultrasone ones are massive and heavy, their headband are not quiet as comfortable (clamps down heavily) they are Over Ear so they cover your entire ear, and they also need burn-in time so will improve over time (couple hundred hours) They might sound soft and distant also.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 16
The Bose sounds terrible. I listened to one last week - there's a Bose store in the mall by the office that I wander into now and then. All of their headphones are awful, practically insulting considering the price.

If you want an inexpensive portable, try the Sony MDR-V6. They go around $70 new and have been around forever. I used a pair for years before getting into Head-Fi; I still think they're decent headphones. They get a lot of studio and professional use and fold up conveniently for travel. You can also find them in some bricks and mortar stores, too, so you can give them a try before buying.

But don't buy the Bose. After you listen to a variety of headphones, you'll realize just how bad they are.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 16
I've never heard them but the hd25-II probably fall in your price range and are very portable. They are another one to research I guess.
They look sharp anyway
wink.gif

Off topic:
I had the chance to listen to some bose a while back but I only listened briefly because the volume was stuck at too high a volume. It was their listening material and too brief to cast judgement.

I noticed at the time that, here in Australia, they were priced very competitively relative to the price of other headphones here.

It was previously economical to order other headphones from overseas but with the current exchange rate it is only marginally better to do so in some cases.

So I hope the bose bashing takes things like this into consideration.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

...where BOSE is not highly regarded.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 16
haha
thanks for alot of useful comments (especially the one about bose)
wow so many different headphones to consider!
i'll wait for more suggestions to see which ones are most suggested!
thanks alot.

oh and also, i would like closed headphones than open.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 16
If you'd prefer closed headphones, I'd suggest taking a look at the Beyerdynamic DT-250. Plays nice without an amp and generally sounds good with everything. A great starter headphone (and one that I keep coming back to).

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bose sounds terrible. I listened to one last week - there's a Bose store in the mall by the office that I wander into now and then. All of their headphones are awful, practically insulting considering the price.

{snip}

But don't buy the Bose. After you listen to a variety of headphones, you'll realize just how bad they are.

Yesterday I had a chance to listen to the Bose OE at an Apple Store connected to my own Nano 4G. Boy, those OE's are the absolute definition of a "fart cannon" - overpowering, loose, muddy bass with weak mids and grainy harsh highs. I'd consider them no better than the $50 Sony MDR-V300's - but those OE's cost $180!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
What sounded "okay" with the Bose demo system really sounded underwhelming in a more "balanced" environment.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard them but the hd25-II probably fall in your price range and are very portable. They are another one to research I guess.
They look sharp anyway
wink.gif

I agree on that, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (not the SP!) is the best closed portable in your pricerange I've heard so far, a true classic (now revisited, the model II) that 'phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back