Help on long cables..........
Nov 18, 2002 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bulkie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi dudes, Im currently using a pair of senn 497 on my portables. Trying to figure a way out regarding the long cables. I normally coil them up and tie them with something but it looks real ugly. Any other alternatives I can look at?

Cheers

Nov 18, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 9
If you have aplace to screw in two J shaped hooks, the top one with the J loop open to the ceiling, and the bottom J hook open to the floor, you can wind them around the two hooks on the side of a stereo case or whatever and it will keep them out of the way and looking nice!!

Just make sure that the J hooks are large enough to hold the length of cord you're referring to!! Anything too small and they tend to fall off. Any other shape that will hold these captive will work: D, C, whatever. Just make sure to visualize how they will go in so that they hold the cable in place!!!!

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Second idea, use just one hook and roll the cable up and just hang it on the one hook. The two hook idea is to make sure that the cable is unobtrusive and can't bind or bunch up much due to a small amount of tension caused by wrapping it between two objects!!

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 9
get a plastic petri dish. glue down a round piece of wood (so that it fits inside with the top cover screwed on, about 1/2" - 3/4" less diameter). melt a slot for the cable to go into (on the bottom piece. the cable should not be pinched when the top is firmly screwed down). wrap around the piece of wood. screw the top onto the petri dish. perfect storage.

make many of them and sell them if they work ok.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 9
how about a metal cigar tube? you'd cut a hloe for the cable in the screwable top. then to store, insert the cable into the cigar tube. twist the cap on to secure.

how about one of those telephone 'winders'? they're also used for ac cords (also in vacuum cleaners). but it'd look strange glued to the side of your transducer. you'd just pull on it to extend, then pull and let go to retract.

personally, i'd just slit a hollow rubber ball, squeeze it, insert the cable, let go of tension. spaldings, are best. (anyone remember handball?). a tennis ball may work just as well. just make sure it doen't pinch it (wires) too tightly.

if it's for on the go, gerG can help you with clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back