Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music)
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 51
Between the following, which is better?  I've seen reviews raving about each individual one's treble and clarity, however never as a comparison of all for classical music or which one is best for classical music

Etymotic Hf5
Westone 1
Westone UM1
Shure SE215
HiFiMan Re-ZERO 
HiFiMan Re-0

**Note: I mostly listen to violin/piano solos and string symphonies (Romantic Era)

Any input with supportive reasoning is greatly appreciated! 

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #35 of 51
In my experience, and based on your listening preference, I would stay away from the Westone 1.  I don't know the technical terminology but they do something very weird with the mids that makes strings sound very hollow and lifeless.  It's a shame too--I liked their up market IEMs a lot.  

I think the Hf5 is really nice for strings and piano, but only if paired with a warm and pretty powerful source.  Otherwise they tend to lose some of the warmth, particularly with cellos.  

I don't have any experience with the Shure SE215, but have extensive experience with the SE535 and 315.  I was told that the 215 are less neutral than the 315, adding more bass and maybe less clarity overall.  Again, this is not from personal experience.  If what I heard was anywhere near true, I could image that the 215 would be a great choice in the 100-150 price range.  Having said that, with the right source, I would pick the Etymotics.  

I don't know if this helps at all.

Quote:
Between the following, which is better?  I've seen reviews raving about each individual one's treble and clarity, however never as a comparison of all for classical music or which one is best for classical music

Etymotic Hf5
Westone 1
Westone UM1
Shure SE215
HiFiMan Re-ZERO 
HiFiMan Re-0

**Note: I mostly listen to violin/piano solos and string symphonies (Romantic Era)

Any input with supportive reasoning is greatly appreciated! 

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:
In my experience, and based on your listening preference, I would stay away from the Westone 1.  I don't know the technical terminology but they do something very weird with the mids that makes strings sound very hollow and lifeless.  It's a shame too--I liked their up market IEMs a lot.  

I think the Hf5 is really nice for strings and piano, but only if paired with a warm and pretty powerful source.  Otherwise they tend to lose some of the warmth, particularly with cellos.  

I don't have any experience with the Shure SE215, but have extensive experience with the SE535 and 315.  I was told that the 215 are less neutral than the 315, adding more bass and maybe less clarity overall.  Again, this is not from personal experience.  If what I heard was anywhere near true, I could image that the 215 would be a great choice in the 100-150 price range.  Having said that, with the right source, I would pick the Etymotics.  

I don't know if this helps at all.

I would stay away from the SE215 for classical, the treble is not prominent, without the details needed for classical.  The HF5 is the only Etymotic I don't own, however etymotic is always a good choice for classical especially if you are listening to chamber, soloists, some say that they don't provide enough soundstage for orchestra.  I don't mind as I can hear every detail of the orchestra with my ety's.

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #38 of 51
Thank you vinnievidi and dziendobry for the thorough and detailed advice!!  I definitely think I will go with the Ety's 

Just curious though: I read joker's 200+ review and he seemed to recommend the Hifiman Re-ZERO's and Re0 for their highs.  Have you had any experience or heard anything about those two for classical music listening?

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 51
I have not heard either one, I have read plenty about both.  From what I have read the RE0 would be better for classical however it is harder to drive, most say it benefits from an amp.  I can imagine that either of the two would be pleasing for classical, they are dynamic vs. the HF5 Balanced armature driver.  I tend to prefer a dynamic to a BA occasionally myself. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #40 of 51
I've heard many good things about the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 and seems pretty reasonable for the price. Does anyone have a comparison between these and the Etymotic ER-4 PT, which are my first choice at the moment?

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #41 of 51
You might want to pass on the TF10 for mostly classical use. I own one and it's good all-rounder great for rock and pop, but I'd rather grab the ER4P or IE80 for classical. Definitely my go to for portability, it isolates well and matches well with a Clip Zip. 

I just got my repurchased ER4P today, but I did own one for over a year in the past. is great for high quality recordings, but can sound a bit thin on mainstream tracks. Amazing detail and good instrument separation, but the soundstage is smaller than the IE80 or TF10. It also has a higher amplification requirement, so it will probably be spending most of it's time hooked up to an XM6 on my desk. Comfort is YMMV, I find that the inability to wear than over the ear is a con for people with shallow ears as the extra length of the barrel hanging out of your ear can put stress on your ear canals. Both the foams and tri-flanges are too long for me, I ended up using Klipsch gel biflanges which work fairly well.

If you can spare a few extra bucks, give the IE80 a try. It's the best of the three for soundstage and also the best for use with poor quality recordings. Sounds quite similar to the HD 650 to me. I find it the most comfortable of the three due to the light weight, shallow insertion, and over the ear fit. However, isolation is below average even with foam tips and it trades detail and speed for warmth and weight.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #42 of 51
I agree; pass on the TF10 for classical listening.  They are great for rock, but they don't have the right mids for classical.  I, personally, didn't like the IE8 for string ensembles at all.  For large, bombastic orchestral works they were pretty nice, albeit slightly slow sounding.  I don't know if the IE80 are the same as the IE8 or if they're improved at all.  All-in-all, I still advocate for any of the Grado IEMs (the GR8 and 10)--you get the clarity of an Etymotic with a much wider soundstage and more weight in the low-mids and bass.

Quote:
You might want to pass on the TF10 for mostly classical use. I own one and it's good all-rounder great for rock and pop, but I'd rather grab the ER4P or IE80 for classical. Definitely my go to for portability, it isolates well and matches well with a Clip Zip. 

I just got my repurchased ER4P today, but I did own one for over a year in the past. is great for high quality recordings, but can sound a bit thin on mainstream tracks. Amazing detail and good instrument separation, but the soundstage is smaller than the IE80 or TF10. It also has a higher amplification requirement, so it will probably be spending most of it's time hooked up to an XM6 on my desk. Comfort is YMMV, I find that the inability to wear than over the ear is a con for people with shallow ears as the extra length of the barrel hanging out of your ear can put stress on your ear canals. Both the foams and tri-flanges are too long for me, I ended up using Klipsch gel biflanges which work fairly well.

If you can spare a few extra bucks, give the IE80 a try. It's the best of the three for soundstage and also the best for use with poor quality recordings. Sounds quite similar to the HD 650 to me. I find it the most comfortable of the three due to the light weight, shallow insertion, and over the ear fit. However, isolation is below average even with foam tips and it trades detail and speed for warmth and weight.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #43 of 51
You want something cheap and good for classical music?  Try the Teclast X19+ or X19HD with Vsonic R04 updated or or Vsonic R04 flagship version IEM's.

Enable 40Hz SRS TruBass.  It sounds very realistic and nice especially for the price.  I listen to solo violin etc. with this setup sometimes.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #44 of 51
Hi vinnievidi,

I went to a dealer today and picked up the IE 80 for trying them out, I actually found them not that bad, probably it has been improved after the IE 8, string ensembles are pretty impressively sparkling clear and separated, the soundstage is good as always, and I mean this applies to less large classical works. Etys were not available for testing, plus the fact that some of my audiophile friends said it would be too thin and flat for even classical music, I gave that up. Unfortunately, I couldn't find GR 8s nor 10s as they only have the full-sized headphones, and the dealers actually had bad comments on them somehow...
You were absolutely right, I tried the TF10 and it was really not for classical music, since it has 2 drivers for the bass and only 1 left for the rest...

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #45 of 51
Etys were not available for testing, plus the fact that some of my audiophile friends said it would be too thin and flat for even classical music, I gave that up.

Hey Now... Maybe you just need some New Friends.

I'll be your first new friend.

Don't discount the Etys. I have just been listening to: Halo Combat Evolved and my Etys crushed it. (unamped too)

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back