Help on buying bassy headphones.
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EpicPoptartPuma

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this site and being ignorant in headphones I nearly bought skullcandy skullcrushers. So what I need help with is finding a good set of headphones that are good with rock, alternative, and dubstep. I like tight bass that is very clean and prominent. Price range is anything under $100. Thanks! 

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response time guys, and how comfortable are the XB500, from pictures it doesn't look the best.

Heya,

Very comfortable. The pads are very squishy, like big pillows.

But if the style isn't what you think you would like, by all means, look elsewhere.

Here's how big they actually are, and what they look like on a person:

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I don't care for style that much, just sound and comfort. The picture did help a lot for reference, and I'll probably buy these. They should get here Tuesday, then I can see how they are. Thanks a ton for the help, you've saved me hours of searching and reading reviews.

Heya,

Remember to play with your equalizer. The XB500 sounds like there is a veil on the mids/highs at first when you listen to something that is like acoustic, vocals, indie or folk for example. It's the only headphone that I have that benefits from EQ in a major way. Bring your mids/highs up a few dB with the Equalizer and you will have a very full bodied sound, still with massive bass, but with some good mids/highs too. It's a headphone that you can take the veil away, and it doesn't distort or sound off, it just sounds better. A well equalized XB500 sounds like a $200 headphone to me.

I played around and was listening to Ani Difranco on settings like this in my Foobar2k Equalizer (granted, it sounds different for me due to my DAC, but you get the idea, raised mids/highs):

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back