Help on a new headphone purchase.
Jul 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

whubbard

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking to get a new set of headphones for about $500 to $700.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Grado RS2i as it seems like it's not really worth the extra $$ for the RS1i. Thoughts? Other suggestions?
I'm a fan of tubes and while I like crystal clear playback I'm okay with a little extra warmth added to the music.

I'm looking to pair it with a good amplifier too if that matters.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504739/help-on-a-new-amplifier-purchase

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks,
West

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Depends. What genres of music do you listen to? What do you want from your sound? Will these be used for anything other than music? I saw your other thread, do you need these to be portable?

Not really sure a tube amp is the right way to go for Grados as they are already forward. Then again I'm not the person to ask about amps. If you want the Grado sound I'd recommend getting a used RS1 on the FS  forums here. I've seen quite a few pop up recently.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 8
No need for "portable". I'm happy with my Klipsch X-10s for ultra portable, and I also don't mind carrying larger headphones when I feel like it.
I listen to everything but Heavy metal, country, and "modern" rap (80s & early 90s rap is good). However, I am mainly listening to all types of rock.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Used RS1s would get my vote then.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 8
If you like rock, a used RS-1 would fit the bill. The RS-2 is a good headphone, but I think you'd be a lot happier with the RS-1. They turn up used frequently here and at Audiogon. Nothing rocks quite as well as the RS-1.

However, you might want to consider the re-released HF-2. They're a lot of fun, too, and I really enjoy the pair I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back