Help on a decision please
Oct 14, 2002 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
Alright im finally selling my gamecube + extras to get a new headphones setup (i currently have only KSC-50's). Ive narrowed it down to 2.
Etymotic ER-4P
+
portable
supposedly incredible sounding
easily drivin
-
never heard it myself
or
Grado SR-80 + META
+
ive heard grados and love the sound
i find them comfortable
-
never heard amp
no school use
frown.gif

and hard to bring anywhere

im currently thinking ety just because of the praise and portability but im afraid of the fact that i havent heard them. I CAN get an amp for Xmas so that pushes me towards the etys also but id like some reccomendations.
thanks,
chris
BTW if you have some etys and would like to trade for a gamecube w/ mario sunshine, smash bros melee, a waverbird wireless controller, S-video cord, and memory card please PM me QUICK

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 11
Hold up, is this for a primarily portable system? Grados don't function well outside since they're so open. You'll hear too much besides the music and everyone else will hear too much of your tunes.

The Etys are probably your best choice for a portable setup. I haven't heard them, though, so I can't compare them to the Grados sonically.

kerely

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 11
ETYs baby!

Biggie.

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 11
HI: Welcome to head-fi. OK ready? koss-35 $20.00 or koss Portapro $30.00 with coupon from headwize. These both have the same drivers in them and sound great even though they cost little money. Amp Super mini amp by fixup.net 75.00 without volume control. The source will have the volume control. So for $100.00 you will have great earphones or great headphones and a great little amp. Good luck

Oct 14, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 11
I vote for the Ety 4P's.
And I have to disagree with my friend Lou. I'd say go Meta 42 down the road. Not a big fan of the Mini or Super Mini, admittingly never hearing it, so I can't comment on that. But having an amp without a volume control somewhat limits it's use in my opinion. When you hook up the amp to a line out, how do you control the volume?. And using an amp out of a headphone jack does somewhat diminish the effect of the amp.
Also I have the KSC35's. Great sound, but to me the Ety's sound better.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 11
HI: i must agree with my friend BILL that the etys sound better than the koss-35 but the etys cost 300.00 and the koss-35 cost 20.00. Bill is right about the line out being a better source jack but none of my sources have a line out just a headphone jack out. I know BILL and he knows good sound so he paid the price and rightly so for his ertys and I don't think Bill would settle for other than a line out. His mini disc 900 or 909 has a line out and is a real good mini disc but my mini disc is the 700 and has just a headphone jack out. So If you are like BILL and have the good stuff I agree get a META42 I got a Max Out one but I also got the super mini amp just for fun and very small size but I know my Max Out META42 Sounds better. BILL is fun to hook up with because besides being a great personally he has great stuff in his bag of high-fi pleasure.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 11
the mini and super mini do come with volume control, the earlier post refers to having the volume control left out which would seem to knock about five bucks off the price. I have a super-mini and i like it very much actually, it meshes quite nicely with My MD players as well as with my pcdp.

i haven't heard either of the headphones you're considering, so i can't give any advice there, but i know that i plan to pick up a pair of ety's when i get the chance.

happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 11
HI: Punslayer
You are right that both the mini and the super mini have volume controls. Its not the 5.00 less that made me get it without the volume control but its like fixup says. The simpler the better and also without the volume control its even smaller and cuter.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Hmm, I'd say go for the etys now. I mean, thing of this: down the road, you can get a cable to convert them to ety 4s, and get a nice amp to go along with them.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back