Help - No Line out in portable CD players
Sep 10, 2002 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently trying to replace a portable CD player. two Sony's have died in the last year, one literally had parts falling out of it, and it wasn't dropped. The other has just got a broken spindle/ clamp, the thing that you put the disc on to play.

To my surprise I can not find a basic cd player with a line out, needed to use with my headphone amp (the little Stax model) . Anyone know of any good, cheap recent models, preferably not Sony with line out?

Sep 10, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 6
I am surprised you cant found a basic cd player with line out. considering even my old Sony PCDP D-11 in the 90s has a line out.

Which players have you been considering?

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I picked up a cheap Sony player a couple years ago that has a line-out. You should be able to find one.

Sep 10, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I currently use a Radio Shack unit (42-6015) that amazingly looks like a Panasonic....

Also, it's on clearance for $49

The Line Out has a nice clean sound, and bypasses any DSPs its using for its Extended Bass, and I would also add the Headphone Out sounds nice as well when you don't need an amp.

Only downside is that it doesn't come with an AC adapter, but does come with a car DC adapter. Uses 2 AA, and can recharge NiCads internally.

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Chastity. I will look into Radio Shack. If you look at recent portable CD players, the line out has been almost totally deleted. I have been checking Sony, Panasonic and Aiwa. The line out was standard in older models.

I am also peeved with Sony for screwing up their AVLS system in the last few years. It used to be suitable to use as a dynamic range compressor in, say, a car. In the last few years it not only compresses but lowers the total signal to the point where it won't even drive most headphones. In my opinion it's a useless feature now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 6
I found what I wanted from Memorex at Radio Shack. In fact I picked up 2 units with phones, one MD6446, for $29.00 from Circuit City, with a nifty Stars and Stripes cover and the other, MD6445B, for $39.00, from Radio Shack.

I bought the 6446 out of frutration with the fact that you couldn't tell if most units had a line-out and neither could the staff, because the units are packed in plastic and the staff won't open them. You could clearly see a line out on the 6446.

The 6445B seemed to have slightly better bass and had a switcheable esp, which should reduce battery consumption and possibly distortion. Both have excellent esp performance, you could really toss them around without the music skipping. They basically seemed to be much the same machines.

I compared the 6445b at Radio Shack with an $80.00 Sony and thought that their performance on line out was indistinguishable. The Sony did have a an AM/FM/TV/Weather radio which I didn't need.

Both Memorex units seemed to have the same phones, just different colours. In fact the phones sounded very good with their respective units. My portable Stax have more accurate tonal qualities but they also cost 10 times the price of the CD player and phones. I would recommend either Memorex unit as a cost effective set-up.

Also a tip of the hat to Radio Shack for allowing meaningful in- store comparisons.

I kept the stars and stripes model for my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back