Help! New source needed!!
Mar 23, 2006 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
As i write a Little Dot II is winging its way to me. My AD700s are eagerly awaiting its arrival. However I find that I do not have a source that may do this combo justice. I have at my disposal a 5G Ipod, a Mac, and a Sony XE500 CDP (with digital out) . My question is this, should I get a new CD player, under $300 or a DAC (maybe with USB for use with the MAC)??

Please help!

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, it's kind of a same old - same old question. Have you thoroughly done some research and exhausted posts and the search feature? I say check out the Zhaolu threads, it's one heck of a DAC fully modified for under $300. If your budget is $300 I would seriously consider a DAC myself and definitely consider used too.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I realize that there are options all over the place, I was simply looking for peoples experience to narrow it down a bit. At least half the posts on here are similar questions, I apologize if this is not the forum to look for help in.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 9
There's just so many, bro, sorry, I say the Zhaolu- that's my opinion. Actually you could get just the basic unit for just over $100 and that's the steal of the century.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale
However I find that I do not have a source that may do this combo justice. I have at my disposal a 5G Ipod, a Mac, and a Sony XE500 CDP (with digital out) .

I find that I get a lot more out of this hobby when I enjoy it at a slower pace. I'd wait for your amp to arrive, then just enjoy your music for a few months. Open yourself up to the possibility that the combo you have may provide all the musical satisfaction you need for the rest of your life.

If you still want to upgrade, by then the Head-Fi flavor of the month will be different, and you can pick up a Zhaolu cheap in the 'for sale' forum. They will still sound just as good next year as they do now.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I find that I get a lot more out of this hobby when I enjoy it at a slower pace. I'd wait for your amp to arrive, then just enjoy your music for a few months. Open yourself up to the possibility that the combo you have may provide all the musical satisfaction you need for the rest of your life.

If you still want to upgrade, by then the Head-Fi flavor of the month will be different, and you can pick up a Zhaolu cheap in the 'for sale' forum. They will still sound just as good next year as they do now.

No there's golden advice. I agree, Clarke. You might be floored with your new system when you get your new amp. Live with it a while and enjoy it.

But, in answer to your question, the Zhaolu can be purcahsed through a dealer in Hong Kong named Eddie. His contact info is somewhere in those big Zhaolu threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back