Help needed with first headphone system
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

adymcd

New Head-Fier
I could really use some help with my first headphone system.

This project has come about as we have a 11 month old baby boy that is currently stopping my music time! I bought an iPod last week thinking that this would be an easy solution however I am not really impressed with the sound.

I have a Naim system 112/150/cd5x, so would like something of a good quality.

I am thimking of using the cd5x as the main source for the system.

On the basis that I am happy with the Naim sound I was thinking about buying a Headline powered by a NAPSC but could really use some input as to what headphones work wekk with this amp.

I listen to a lot of female vocals, Alison Krauss, Nina Simone, Katie Melua plus the likes to the Eagles, Beatles, Coldplay, James Morrison and Jack Johnson

My shortlist

Grado 225i, 325i, and RS-2 - I have been told that the 325i is bright and should be avoided

Stax - Don;t know much about these and had not even heard of them a week ago! Looking at he prices it will be the lower end of the market

HD650 - This is a possibiltiy but I heard a lower model yesterdat and the bass sounded 'muddy'

AKG-701 - Can't find anybody how is using or demoing this with Naim is it suitable?

Any help would be much appreciated

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 15
I listen to a lot of the same music that you do and what works for me in covering all the bases is Alessandro MS2i, plus Sennheise HD600. Both cans do a good job in playing all the music types listed, although I generally use the MS2i for tunes on the "rock" side of things, and the HD600s for the bigger forms of classical. The big difference is the MS2i are generally a bit brighter with a sound that puts the listener on stage or in the studio with the performers, while the HD600s put me back a few rows in the audience and has a slightly warmer more spacious sound.

I'm not so much recommending either of these models of phones as a starting point, but rather pointing out the sonic differences they both portray and how they work in my particular situation.

...yeah; kids make for lots of changes in listening habits in many ways!!

To introduce the traditional Head-Fi greeting: Welcome to Head-Fi and, "sorry about your wallet!"

Yup; sorry 'bout your wallet for sure....on many levels.
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adymcd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply

What make are the ms2i? Another vrand I have never heard of before today, its almost like learning from scratch!

Grado/Allesandro Music Series

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lies , all lies.
tongue.gif
Only the source is bright. this headphone reproduces the source transparently.

So are you saying you think that the Naim is not a good place to start my quest? Is it the Naim that would make these seem bright?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado/Allesandro Music Series

Ok I have just found the Alessandro website, they look like Grado's to the untrained eye are they just Grado's rebadged or is there more to it than that?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the reply

What make are the ms2i? Another vrand I have never heard of before today, its almost like learning from scratch!

Oops! My bad!!

I usually try to explain to new folks that Alessandro is just another line of Grado headphones sold through the Alessandro web-site....Alessandro makes guitar amps, by the way....but Grados are generally more "fun" and exciting than the corresponding Alessandros which are generally more neutral and analytical.

They are Grados through and through, but they are just tuned differently. They even use the same housings and materials and everything, but just use different drivers in the housings. They even say "Grado Labs" right on the housings and ship in the same Grado Pizza Boxes!

Grado has a total of nine models while Alessandro has only three. But just like Grado; Alessandro has a fiercely loyal following!!

Yup; it's a whole 'nother world here!!

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

So are you saying you think that the Naim is not a good place to start my quest? Is it the Naim that would make these seem bright?

Im sure the cd5x will be fine. It's the amp you want to be careful of.
And ive never heard the headline so?

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Ok I have just found the Alessandro website, they look like Grado's to the untrained eye are they just Grado's rebadged or is there more to it than that?

Oops again! I forgot to mention that there are none of the surprisingly expensive to produce and install ID buttons on Alessandros!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Upon further study you'll surely notice that the Alessandro website doesn't call the MS2i the MS2i, they just call it MS2 and even show a picture of the older version prior to January 2005 when the new "mushroom" style came out concurrent with the Grado improved SR-325; the SR-325i.

The current MS2 is in fact what we here call the MS2i cause we found it easier to follow Grados lead and call it "i" rather than MS2 "Fatboy" since it uses a lot more keystrokes!! But yeah; the MS2 listed on the Alessandro web-site is in fact the MS2"i"!!

Otherwise; the MS-1 and MS-Pro are pretty well as defined on the Alessandro web-site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lies , all lies.
tongue.gif
Only the source is bright. this headphone reproduces the source transparently.

I laughed so hard at this statement.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 15
I've got the HD580 and love them. They are essentially the HD600, too, and can be had for half the price.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I could really use some help with my first headphone system.

This project has come about as we have a 11 month old baby boy that is currently stopping my music time! I bought an iPod last week thinking that this would be an easy solution however I am not really impressed with the sound.

I have a Naim system 112/150/cd5x, so would like something of a good quality.

I am thimking of using the cd5x as the main source for the system.

On the basis that I am happy with the Naim sound I was thinking about buying a Headline powered by a NAPSC but could really use some input as to what headphones work wekk with this amp.

I listen to a lot of female vocals, Alison Krauss, Nina Simone, Katie Melua plus the likes to the Eagles, Beatles, Coldplay, James Morrison and Jack Johnson

My shortlist

Grado 225i, 325i, and RS-2 - I have been told that the 325i is bright and should be avoided

Stax - Don;t know much about these and had not even heard of them a week ago! Looking at he prices it will be the lower end of the market

HD650 - This is a possibiltiy but I heard a lower model yesterdat and the bass sounded 'muddy'

AKG-701 - Can't find anybody how is using or demoing this with Naim is it suitable?

Any help would be much appreciated

Bright doesn't always mean bad.. Depends on your personal taste. I'd recommend the 225's personally.. The 650 bass only sounds muddy when they aren't driven properly.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Seems to be a lot of people into Grado and the derivatives of. Does anybody use any of the others? Or have you any experience of them?

I have the 650's/701's.. 650's are dark & might sound 'boring & veiled' to you.. Ofcourse many claim the 650's really open up with better equpiment. My 650's keep sounding better with every upgrade I make..Tighter bass, less dark, faster, etc.. The 701's are very good IMO.. Organic & natural sounding.. Nice sparkle on the hi's..Neutral.. Less colored then the 650's.. More speaker like..Tighter & less bloated bass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back