Help needed - technical documentation - for amps including Eddie Cuurent and Single Power Audio
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hammr7

New Head-Fier
I posted much of this in my introduction, but it seems perhaps a specific post is better.

I have been asked to help restore, if possible, a number of head amps. They belonged to a past Head-fi forum member who passed away in January. Sadly, his widow doesn't know what his forum name was.

I'm hoping to get some direction on which amps might be worth putting time and effort into. And I'm hoping to find guidance on where to find any available technical documentation, assuming any exists. Along the way I'll get a glimpse of where head amp technology has been while I wasn't paying attention. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600's that I'll use for each of the head amps as a start.

The easiest seems to be his Little Dot Mk IV SE. This unit looks very new and was probably the unit Ira was using regularly at the time of his passing. Before I power it up I am looking for any kind of user manual. I realize that there probably isn't a lot to worry about with this unit, but I would prefer to be cautious if possible. I searched on-line but kept running into a pair of web sites claiming to have the manual, but that my malware protection didn't care for. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I have two pieces of gear from Eddie Current. One piece is a Zana Duex (an older version from what little I can tell. It has the number "31" on it.), and the other looks like a power supply, with a single tube socket and a large torroidal transformer as the only distinguishing features. I read all the FAQs on the Eddie Current website and I'm not certain if I was misunderstanding their vibe. Seems like they won't work on their old gear if its ever been opened up. Seems like they don't want to work on their old gear at all, except for the original purchaser. I have no idea if Ira as the original purchaser, but that might not matter. Despite hating the secondary market, it seems their gear has a decent following. I am hoping to get some information before I start a potentially expensive dialog with them. Can anyone confirm that the unknown unit is a PS, and perhaps provide a model number? Perhaps tell me what tube it uses? Is there any available documentation? Is there any documentation on older versions of the Zana Deux? Does it have a standard tube set? Or is an e-mail to Eddie Current the only way to start this process?

The other enigma is a large quantity of gear from Single Power Audio. I already read the massive old thread with the villain named Mikhail. I realize I will not be getting any technical information from the company. But I'm wondering if there is any technical information available anywhere else. The collection (so far) includes the following pieces:

- Single Tower
- Maestro ZR
- Slam PPX3 Extreme
- Harmony XLR

I would prefer to not consider these all boat anchors if possible. I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel by trying to reverse engineer each of these units. And I would prefer not to fry myself or any other gear simply trying to figure out if these are currently functional at any level. If anyone on the forum has any technical info, even what tube sets these use, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anway, thanks for reading this much-longer-than-usual initial posting. I look forward to diving down this rabbit hole and seeing where it leads.

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 4
If you don't get any replies, post in the DIY thread or msg a mod to move this thread there.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Figure I'll try again and see if anyone has info on these old head amps, especially those made by Single Power Audio. I've worked my way through a couple of the other units, but have found nothing technical on this brand. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back