Help needed in experiencing Hi-Res Audio
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

amit3172

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have Sabaj DA3 DAC/AMP (along with XMOS Driver from vendor):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sab...lution-Balanced-Output-32bit/32824196963.html

I also have Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless headphone.

Recently got inclined towards Hi-Res Audio, I check the below website which provides 2 samples, one compressed and 2nd Hi-Res audio:
http://helpguide.sony.net/high-res/sample1/v1/en/index.html

Unfortunately, When I listened to both audio, I could not see any difference as mentioned in the Audio.
I used Foobar2000 along with Sabaj DA3 DAC (ASIO, ASIO2, WASAPI-Event, WASAPI-Push) and my Sennheiser Momentum headphone.

Please suggest how I can experience the difference in lossy and pure lossless audio?

Will the below combination improve my audio experience?

My 2nd request is:
As Momentum 2.0 Wireless is little big, I was thinking of buying VE Zen 2.0 (320 ohm) and use it with Sabaj DAC in Balanced Mode (mainly when not using my Sennheiser). The DAC vendor said that it can drive VE Zen 2.0, but still I wanted to check with community if anyone has this combination and is working perfectly.

Please help.

Regards,

Amit

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Two things are going on here that you're not going to like.
Firstly, modern mp3 encoding has drastically improved compared to 10-15 years ago, so there are only small differences between compressed and high-res audio.
Secondly, that difference is mostly heard in the 'air', soundstage and dynamics, which are aspects of audio you might only start to hear more clearly on a truly high-end open-back headphone.
If you listen very carefully you might notice the high-res sample might sound a little wider, or more spacious, but I wouldn't expect you to hear anything else on a Momentum.

Most people in a blind-test can't tell the difference between compressed (192-320 kbps) and lossless anyway, even after forking out hundreds of dollars on high-end systems.
As long as the music sounds good to you, and you enjoy it, there's no need to go down the high-res audio path.
A high-end headphone + 320kbps mp3s will be a much bigger improvement to your music enjoyment than a mid-tier headphone + high-res audio formats.
(Just my humble opinion)

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you Greq for your valuable opinion.

Requesting your opinion on some truely high-end open-back headphones as well, with some budget considerations.

I am aware of the fact that listening depends a lot on user's preferences, but still your suggestions will help me a lot.

I really want to experience the difference :)

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi,

I mostly agree with Greq. I think to really hear a difference you need to upgrade your headphones and maybe also your DAC. Also if you hear the difference between MP3 or 16-bit FLAC or the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC really depends on the music. Some CD's where I really hear a big difference are for example Rumours from Fleetwood Mac, big difference between 16 bit and 24/96. Also with most albums from the Dire Straits I hear a difference between 16bit and 24bit.

As for headphones. A great open back for the money is the Hifiman HE400i, they are really going down in price at the moment and can be found on eBay quite cheap. I don't know what you consider cheap, but I've bought a new pair a few months ago for 180USD as a temporarily replacement as I was waiting for another headphone. For that kind of money you are getting a lot!

I hope to have helped you a bit!

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi,

I mostly agree with Greq. I think to really hear a difference you need to upgrade your headphones and maybe also your DAC. Also if you hear the difference between MP3 or 16-bit FLAC or the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC really depends on the music. Some CD's where I really hear a big difference are for example Rumours from Fleetwood Mac, big difference between 16 bit and 24/96. Also with most albums from the Dire Straits I hear a difference between 16bit and 24bit.

As for headphones. A great open back for the money is the Hifiman HE400i, they are really going down in price at the moment and can be found on eBay quite cheap. I don't know what you consider cheap, but I've bought a new pair a few months ago for 180USD as a temporarily replacement as I was waiting for another headphone. For that kind of money you are getting a lot!

I hope to have helped you a bit!

Very true. Lots of good points there, especially specific recordings.
Too many modern recordings are so brickwalled with volume maxed out, that there's no room left for dynamics.

Thank you Greq for your valuable opinion.

Requesting your opinion on some truely high-end open-back headphones as well, with some budget considerations.

I am aware of the fact that listening depends a lot on user's preferences, but still your suggestions will help me a lot.

I really want to experience the difference :)

Never heard the HE400i, but it's a small step down from my HE-500, which is one of the most capable headphones I've ever heard.
It's a good mix of slightly v-shaped and aggressive, making it extremely accurate but still fun.
It's also one of the absolute most open-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

If you love the smooth sound of the Momentum 2, you'd be best served with a Sennheiser HD650 (even smoother) or HD660s (more detailed, and a bit more aggressive).

But let us know what you find 'missing' in the Momentum's sound or what you're looking for, this would help better narrow down something closer to your ideal sound.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Never heard the HE400i, but it's a small step down from my HE-500, which is one of the most capable headphones I've ever heard.
It's a good mix of slightly v-shaped and aggressive, making it extremely accurate but still fun.
It's also one of the absolute most open-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

If you love the smooth sound of the Momentum 2, you'd be best served with a Sennheiser HD650 (even smoother) or HD660s (more detailed, and a bit more aggressive).

But let us know what you find 'missing' in the Momentum's sound or what you're looking for, this would help better narrow down something closer to your ideal sound.

Yes the HE400i is a very capable set of headphones and a wide variety of music sounds great with them!

From my experience the HE400i wasn't that open sounding at all though. Before I have owned an Audeze EL-8 open back and now I own a Sennheiser HD800 so those are my references.

Still, coming from a closed back headphone they will definitely sound open. I think a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 (or maybe HD660s of which I think it might not really be considered budget) sounds a lot more open. Something to keep in mind is that the HE400i are very low impedance headphones that are probably more easy to drive than a HD600 or HD650. I've never heard the HD600 or HD650 so maybe Greq can help you with those!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 11
I don’t think the 400i is a small step down from the 500’s I think it is a few steps down the 500’s are very good and the 400i is good.

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 11
having owned both he400i and still own HD600, I'd rec the 600 hands down if you value natural treble that's overly cooked and sibilant. The only problem is the 600 requires an amp with high slew rate to be driven properly, or the bass is sorta loose.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Dear All,

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

I am thinking on the HE headphones as well as Sennheiser HD 6xx headphones and researching on them.

In India, it is still costly compared to US, so I'll have to wait untill someone is coming from US.

Meanwhile I have ordered VE Zen with Balanced cable. Hope, I've made a good decision.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 11
You're getting great advice from everyone here I feel. I also recommend that you would benefit most from high res tracks if you did a headphone upgrade. If you like what you are hearing now and enjoying your self then don't worry about highest res. If you feel like upgrading to one of the above mentioned cans then "A high-end headphone + 320kbps mp3s" like @GREQ said is where you could go.

It's also worth mentioning that depending on the headphone you choose, if its difficult to drive (higher then what, 50ohm 100db sensitivity gang?) then an amp will make a huge difference with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back