Help needed: Headphones / IEMs for really noisy environments - Possibly to be used with hearing protectors
May 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JohnyL

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I ran into little bit of problems with my audio gear this spring. I'm quite new to Hi-Fi headphones and thus I need pointers and a little bit of help.

Normally I use my Grados with my desktop LD MKII and as portable headphones with my Galaxy S3. But this spring I ran into problems since my Peltor radio protectors aren't producing any listenable sound anymore. I do love the open sound of Grados but I understand I cannot get the same feeling with closed HPs or IEMs.

The question is: What kind of Isolating Headphones (at least 25dB noise reduction) or IEMs would work while driving Massey Ferguson around the fields?

- Is there a decent sounding headphones with at least 25dB noise reduction?
- Are there any limitations how IEMs work with hearing protection? Do they need free air behind them?
- There is a lot of dust and debris involved. Will isolated headphones survive the crazy amount of dust?

The main audio source would still be my Galaxy S3 so the headphones would have to be easy to drive. Budget range is around $150 USD (can be a bit more or less).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Johny

May 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 5

Judging by these charts, an IEM may provide the isolation you need. You could always wear an over the ear noise protection headset over an IEM too.

B0094S35W4_1dot.gif

Good
B0094S35W4_2dots.gif

Better
B0094S35W4_3dots.gif

Best
B0094S35W4_UE900_chart.jpg

B0094S35W4_3dots.gif

Logitech UE 900
Speaker Design
Single diaphragm speakers specially tuned for deep bass​
High-quality, single diaphragm speakers deliver crisp highs, warm mids, and powerful bass​
Single, top-firing armature in each ear produces extended high-frequency response​
Triple Armature with passive crossover for studio-grade audio quality​
Quad Armature with three-way crossover for pure, undiluted sound that rivals custom stage monitors​
Noise Isolation (dB)
22dB​
26dB​
26dB​
26dB​
26dB​
Comfort Features
 ​
Sits stylishly and unobtrusively in your ears.​
Lightweight and wears over the ear or down.​
Ear loop design for more comfort and stability​
Ear loop design for more comfort and stability​
Comply Foam Tips
 ​
1 pair​
2 pairs​
2 pairs​
3 pairs​
Soft Silicone Ear Cushions
5 sizes (XXS-L)​
5 sizes (XXS-L)​
5 sizes (XXS-L)​
3 sizes S-M-L​
5 sizes (XXS-L)​
Color Choices
1​
1​
1​
 ​

May 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Thats insightful. Thank You!

But as you said I can wear protection over the IEMs so isolation is not that big of an issue with IEMs. With headphones it is crucial.

But do the IEMs need any free air space outside of the ear? Or do they work properly with closed protection cups around the ear?

May 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Etymotic HF2.  Ultimate noise isolation, clearest sound quality.  And red, black or blue colors available.  Done.

May 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Etymotic HF2.  Ultimate noise isolation, clearest sound quality.  And red, black or blue colors available.  Done.

This man speaks the truth. I'd say Etymotic has the best noise reduction, well if you can plug that in your ear canals deep enough. According to Etymotic's description, the HF5 (which is basically the same with HF2) gives about -35~-42 dB of noise reduction. Considering most of those hard-shell CIEMs give about -26dB, that's a lot.

However, if you find Etymotic's bass to be too little in such noisy environment, I guess Westone's products would be as good with triple flange sleeves equipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back