Help needed for a new member
Sep 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pascal1994

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

After searching the web for a very long time, I'm left desperate with all the possibilities out there.
So I decided to ask you guys for advice!

Until now I have only used my Sennheiser CX-300II in-ears to listen my music. (on my iPod or HTC Sensation XE)
I have decided to add an on-ear headphone to my collection.
The reason I'm looking for an on-ear model is because I'm going to wear it outside as well, and I don't want to carry around big headphones all the time.
They need to be sleak in some sort of way.

I've searched a lot on the web, but I'd like some opinions.

What I'm looking for:
* I like bass in my songs. No overpowered bass, just clean bass. It needs to produce really low bass too, so you can actually feel it.
* I want it to be stylish. No fancy Dre Beats stuff, but just some nice looking headphones which I can wear outside.
* I'm aiming for on-ear headphones, because over-ears are too big for me to carry around.
* I'm looking for some overall sound quality, but with enough bass and power.

I've narrowed down my list of headphones to this:

* Philips Fidelio M1
* Sony MDR-XB600 or MDR-XB910
* AKG 619

So which one if these has the best price/quality ratio?
If you know any better alternatives, feel free to let met know!
I live in Holland so unfortunately I do have some limitations regarding headphone brands.
Last but not least, I want good price/quality headphones for about $70-$150.
I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks if it's truely worth it.

I hope you guys can help me decide!

Thanks a lot!

And sorry for any grammar faults, English is not my native language.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 19
Hello!

The Sony XB series might have way too much bass and it's not at all well controlled to my ears. Have you looked into Ultimate Ears UE4000? They have deep sub bass, detailed mids but highs are artificial a little

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Hey Billson!
So you discourage me to buy one of the XB series? The UE4000 looks pretty cool, I take a look!

@parall3l: Sennheisers are always good stuff, I'll take a look into them!
EDIT: The Sennheisers are too expensive for me. They sell them for €300 here in Holland, so that's a but too much for me.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 19
@MalVeauX: Yes, I did consider them! But... Audio Technica isn't that well known in Holland, so they are very hard to come by. So far I've only found 3 online shops who sell them, with the lowest price at €169, which is about $225, and that's quite a lot. Are the WS77's really that good and worth the money?

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Hello!

The Sony XB series might have way too much bass and it's not at all well controlled to my ears. Have you looked into Ultimate Ears UE4000? They have deep sub bass, detailed mids but highs are artificial a little

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree'd the XB series is not what your going for, if you want clean bass

For good looking and with nice bass The Koss TBSE can be had for about $80 new in the States, it's a nice all arounder with a slant towards bass, it ALSO has a nice carrying thing with it, making it easy to use for portable use. I also really like the Koss Pro DJ 200 [which the TBSE is apprently a re release of] So I'd go or a Koss TBSE, they seem to fit the bill, although the ATH Ws77 will have more bass most likely 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Okay so the XB series are too muddy?
@Mshenay: Unfortunately, they do not sell Koss over here.

So this leaves me with the following headphones:

- Philips Fidelio M1
- AKG 619
- Logitech UE4000 
- V-Moda M80 (these are a bit pricey though; €189)

Could somebody tell me more about the AKG's en the Fidelio?
How's the bass of the UE4000? I've heard different opinions.

It needs to have powerful bass, but at the same time nice and flat overall sound.

Thanks for your help so far guys!

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 19
  Okay so the XB series are too muddy?
@Mshenay: Unfortunately, they do not sell Koss over here.

So this leaves me with the following headphones:

- Philips Fidelio M1
- AKG 619
- Logitech UE4000 
- V-Moda M80 (these are a bit pricey though; €189)

Could somebody tell me more about the AKG's en the Fidelio?
How's the bass of the UE4000? I've heard different opinions.

It needs to have powerful bass, but at the same time nice and flat overall sound.

Thanks for your help so far guys!

They really are that muddy, and sorry about koss :[ 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 19

They really are that muddy, and sorry about koss :[ 

Okay thanks, that narrows down the list for sure!
No problem, I'm already glad you're kind enough to help! :]
I'm afraid the Fidelio M1 is a tad bit too flat for my taste. They look decent though.
I don't know that much about the AKG 619's.
The Logitech UE4000 appeals to me, but I would just like to know if the bass is powerful and full enough.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 19

Okay thanks, that narrows down the list for sure!
No problem, I'm already glad you're kind enough to help! :]
I'm afraid the Fidelio M1 is a tad bit too flat for my taste. They look decent though.
I don't know that much about the AKG 619's.
The Logitech UE4000 appeals to me, but I would just like to know if the bass is powerful and full enough.

Honesty, you can always get a Fiio E6 for about $30 that will boost the bass of closed cans nicely! 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 19

That's some nice advice! So you would say, go for the UE4000, since these have nice sound quality and are the cheapest of all 4?
And team it up with a Fiio E6 in case the bass lacks.

Ask Billson about the UE4000, it should be able to handle a small amp like the E6, but check with him and see how well it takes to bass boosting BUT for the most part, the Sub $100 headphones usually match well with the Fiio E6, heck my first can set was the XB 700 and the Fiio E6 [the Odd Numbered XBs are the only one's worth getting but they are very hard to find now :[ and they are SUPER BASSY still, but I started on a XB 700 so I can't hate it for it's WALL OF BASS] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back