Help!My laptop gets overheated!!!
Jul 6, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to ask for your help. My 3 year old laptop (Pentium 4 2.2GHz) is starting to get really hot lately. As a result it turns off after a while in order to save itself from getting on fire.
eek.gif
This thing happens especially when its plugged to the socket and doesnt work on battery and when i do some heavier than internet work (copy cds-use hard disc).
eek.gif
Can anyone help me what to do?I dont want to get a new one and i really like mine. It has a nice monitor, big harddisk etc etc. As you can imagine i am outside my warranty so i cant send it back without paying. What do you people recon?

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm no expert but have you tried shutting down unneeded background programs and ports? Are you overclocking, cause that'll do it. Also, what kind of lappy do you have? Please don't say HP/compaq . . .

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Find a way to get it open and check the fan. May be plugged with dirt
or the fan may be dead. This is very typical of many of the higher
speed laptops.

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 22
As KG said - check the fans. I have a Sager NP-8790 and the fans are HUGE and collect dust. It is not hard to disassemble most laptops and I sure the warranty is long gone on yours?

Take apart the cooling system and while you are at it - blow clean the heatsink (a mesh of copper plates usually...honeycomb in my laptop) with compressed air...do the same for the fan but hold the blades when you use compressed air (dont let the blades rotate...you may damage the bearings).

Another thing you might have to do is remove the CPU (in order to remove the heatsink completely). Dont worry...this is usually an easy task. The OEM thermal interface is lacking in most laptops. I usually open up my new laptops and mod the thermal system...Using a good thermal paste or thermal pads depending on whether it is a gaming laptop or not.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 22
I second the idea of a laptop cooler...I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of the active coolers.

I've been using the Coolerpad from Road Tools with my powerbook for a while now...since the coolerpad is a bit small for the 17" lapzilla, I'm retire it for use with a 12" PB and ordered myself the iLap.

To the OP, how is your laptop situated? is it on a desk? you setting it on couch cushons?

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 22
I second the idea of replacing the stock thermal interface material. I plan to do it to my overheating Compaq once some free time comes up.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I second the idea of replacing the stock thermal interface material. I plan to do it to my overheating Compaq once some free time comes up.

mucking around with the thermal goop or tape, can yield better performance but can lead to more heat issues. So make sure and don't put too much of the silver paste if you go this route. Too much goop and you got yourself a cooked core.
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 22
this is what happens when companies try to stuff in cpus meant for desktop pcs in notebooks in order to be the first out with the 'latest and the greatest'..
mad.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm no expert but have you tried shutting down unneeded background programs and ports? Are you overclocking, cause that'll do it. Also, what kind of lappy do you have? Please don't say HP/compaq . . .

Mine is a Dell one. I am not overclocking or anything. It seems that since its ordinary pentium and not pentium mobile there is too much heat coming from the processor when its plugged and it actually works as pentium 4. Now as far as opening the computer open I am afraid its too tough for me. I tried removing the caps but it has so many screws that i am afraid i am going to destroy it. I am an engineer and i know how to fix things but this thing has to many screws and even after i took some apart i wasnt sure i would get access to the inside. I will try to open it again and let you guys know.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
this is what happens when companies try to stuff in cpus meant for desktop pcs in notebooks in order to be the first out with the 'latest and the greatest'..
mad.gif

Totally agree. Mine is a 2.2 Ghz Pentium and I have bought it in Fall 2002. Its being a pretty impressive computer so far. I really like it. I love its screen with 1400x1050 resolution. I just need to fix its overheating problems so that it works great again. I am one of these guys that wears his computers until they cant take it anymore. I hope this baby lasts me for another 3-4 years. While I am not a cheapo I dont think a new computer would offer me anything more (I dont play games and i use Microsoft Office, Photoshop and Internet extensively).

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 22
My cousin has a 3.0 pentium 4 I think in his lappy and it can heat an entire room in an instant . . . how he can handle the temp, I don't know. I'm talking about super super hot.

I only mentioned the brand thing cause some of the newer HP/compaqs tend to screw up in the hardware dept, at least in their lappies. the laptop mentioned in my above paragraph has been replaced repeatedly, and still has problems. (mainly in the PS)

If you're gonna take apart the dell, you should go online and look for the schematics or something. Just so you know what area to hit first. (unless you already have it)

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 22
My Mum and I both have Notebook coolers made by Akasa.

They were fairly cheap (£20 UK) and make the bottom of our (otherwise burning hot) laptops cool to the touch.

They are powered by USB, so no extra power is needed.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I only mentioned the brand thing cause some of the newer HP/compaqs tend to screw up in the hardware dept, at least in their lappies. the laptop mentioned in my above paragraph has been replaced repeatedly, and still has problems. (mainly in the PS)

My friends Celeron (forget speed but its 2-3 months old) gets really hot idling. I have no idea why he attempts to play WoW on the thing...

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
My friends Celeron (forget speed but its 2-3 months old) gets really hot idling. I have no idea why he attempts to play WoW on the thing...

I didn't think celerons were made for gaming. (course I pretty much know jack)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back