HELP! My esw9 are broken. No no no! - how to repair headband ;-)
Apr 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 47
ATUS is great for service. I did ask them to purchase the replacement driver and other parts. They did it real fast!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 47
Wow. What a difference a few months makes. Glad to see ATUS got their s@#$ together
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 47
Update:

The part arrived, and I did the repair myself. But the cups are very loose now, so it's not possible to angle the cups, the way I used to. I discovered som blue powder in the construction - just where the cups are attached to the headband with a screw. This blue powder, I suppose, is the reason why the cups are so tight, that you can angle them. Unfortunately, I've run out of magical blue powder. I've tried everything, but nothing works out. Damn.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Magical Blue Powder" = chalk (e.g. pool cue chalk). Creates some friction/grip.

Thanks, I tried some chalk. It works for the first ca 10 times, after that they get too loose again. Maybe I have to try different kinds of chalk.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #23 of 47
I didn't find out what the powder is. Audio Technica doesn't use any blue powder, they said. I try out different kinds of chalk. Some last longer than others. I'll keep you posted whenever I find something useful. Loctite could be an opportunity. Chalk from a billard game, another. And that would make an exceptional excuse for drinking beer as well... My ESW9 is ok, though. Just need to open them to fill in new chalk and tighten the screws from time to time. Strange, this.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 47
Happy it turned out kind of allright

May 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #25 of 47
I have used them for two weeks without having to tighten the screws. It seems that they settle by time. Strange. Don't know if the chalk is any good for that. I think so. Anyways, it's a good thing, that I can use them again without any concerns. Thanks to James at Audio technica US!!!

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #26 of 47
librarian, just wanted to thank you as I found the .pdf via Google. Idiot 13 year old broke my ESW9. "By taking them off his head".... and what? Continuing to twist? Moron. Anyway I got lucky because the Audio-Technica UK rep said that for some reason they had the joint case in stock. The only one in the country is going to me for the princely sum of £8.61 inc VAT and p+p

Like how this thread moves onto pole dancing gripping. Interesting and I am sure this will be relevant to me in the days to come...

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #27 of 47
OK this has me slightly stumped

I have been looking at the pdf. Then back to my broken ESW9 courtesy of one stupid sibling. Then back to the pdf

I need to take out part 22 (see .pdf) but I do not think they have invented a confined space ratchet driver small enough. With the way the arm rotates, the space is very acute indeed. I even tried pulling at the arm slightly to see if I could detach it from the headphone body but well they built it right
tongue.gif
- Which makes me even angrier with stupid sibling

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 47
I've been reading about esw9's breaking on audiocubes reviews. Hope they improve the build quality of these 'phones.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #29 of 47
I think the build quality is fine. As I posted previously on this forum, when I was caught up in a thunderstorm it came through it without any issues

Just that I had an idiot sibling who ignored the 'stop' on the earcup mechanism and continued, thereby snapping the plastic housing by forcibly twisting it

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to take out part 22 (see .pdf) but I do not think they have invented a confined space ratchet driver small enough. With the way the arm rotates, the space is very acute indeed. I even tried pulling at the arm slightly to see if I could detach it from the headphone body

Did you find a way to get past this issue? I'm having the exact same problem myself, so I'd appreciate some help.

Librarian: Thanks for posting here, it helped me figure out which part I needed to order. Did you have the problem LFC_SL describes above? How did you solve it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back