HELP! My esw9 are broken. No no no! - how to repair headband ;-)
Nov 28, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #31 of 47
I'm thinking about buying an ESW9 and have been researching, and this thread worries me. Would you guys say this phone is rather fragile?

Nov 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #32 of 47
It's not a headphone, you can just throw in a bag and then throw your bag around and sit upon it. The thing is, that the earcups can turn 90 degrees one way (so that they are flat for portability) and only 30-40 degrees the other way (for angling the earcups to fit the ear better). But if you buy audio technicas hard bag, you'll be fine. And keep it safe from kids :wink: I still love my esw9 very much.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about buying an ESW9 and have been researching, and this thread worries me. Would you guys say this phone is rather fragile?

For a headphone per se? Nope. For a portable headphone? Yep.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #34 of 47
Once again, the fragile part on this headband broke. This time it was the right side. That leads me to think, that the plastic worns out with time. I just bought 5 parts from Audio Technica, US. + a new pair of earpads. Communication once again very friendly. Packaging and everything else was perfect. Now my ESW9 are good as new (and I have 4 extras of this fragile part). Makes me feel very secure.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the repair difficult?

Not difficult at all. 5 minutes and done:)The only thing is this blue powder, mentioned earlier. I never solved that issue. But after some time, I actually think I prefer the headphone without the angling opportunity. Since the earcups are free to move, they allways sits perfectly on my ears, and there is no clamping force that way. It's more comfortable that way.

BTW: the new earpads is a noticable upgrade. So if your esw9 earpads have become flat after heavy use, buy new ones. They are a better fit, and thereby better sounding.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #37 of 47
diy engineers rejoice!

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 47
I am surprised someone hasn't whipped up metal pieces (as has been done for Grados). I guess the hard AT case is worthwhile for these. They do feel and sound great -- portable HP's Deluxe!

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised someone hasn't whipped up metal pieces (as has been done for Grados). I guess the hard AT case is worthwhile for these. They do feel and sound great -- portable HP's Deluxe!

Yes, it's a very good thing to keep these in a hard case. Recommended.

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #40 of 47
I just got my pair of ESW9's in the mail and was very excited to test them out having used a pair of ES7's for the past year+ at work. First thing I notice is that it seems like the volume out of the left ear is lower than that of the right. Second thing I notice is that the volume on these things seems to be much lower than my ES7's. With a Macbook Pro as my source I can pump the volume up all the way and highs are extremely shrill but it still doesn't sound that loud.

I'm thinking that I may have received a faulty pair of headphones. Anyone have any ideas?

May 3, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #41 of 47
Well, I'm going to join the 'ESW9 Broken Joint Case Club' as well. Anyone know the best way to get the replacement parts to Australia?

May 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #42 of 47
I am thinking of super-gluing the part while I try and arrange for a replacement bit... and like others here, am wondering how the hell to dismantle the things. I can't undo screw 22 with the cup there in the way and I can't detach the cup from the hinge (17)

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #43 of 47

Quote:
I am thinking of super-gluing the part while I try and arrange for a replacement bit... and like others here, am wondering how the hell to dismantle the things. I can't undo screw 22 with the cup there in the way and I can't detach the cup from the hinge (17)

OK, So I figured it out. You have to take apart the cup mechanism and then you will be able to remove the swivel mechanism and eventually get to the bits of part 22 on their own. I've epoxy'd the part 22 back together, the swivel isn't quite as smooth as it is on the 'good' side but I'm just glad I can listen to them again :)

Here is the dissection guide for this model once again if anyone needs it: http://www.filefactory.com/file/agbc87g/n/ATH-ESW9A_Exploded_View_1_pdf

Still thinking I will try and get a replacement part 22 after all this... problem is I might lose the Left/Right logo on it... might have to do a label transplant :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #44 of 47
Apparently the hinges on esw9/esw10 break often, and I receive a lot of PM's about the issue. Unfortunately I don't have the pdf anymore, but the spare part number  is: P# 134304530

There is no left/right, they work on both sides.

I ordered from Audio Technica, US, they were very helpful.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 47
Hey guys,

i'm now in the club too.. Apparently, hard winters and the way I might get the phones off my head broke the right joint case... But! I have found this website that sells this part. Only thing is that the "right" text is not there. I might take the one I already have and fix it this way..

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/432756.html

Ugh... looks like I talked too fast about this. They won't ship to Canada :frowning2:... I'm quite lost now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back