Help, my cans are dead!
Sep 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Agent_Moler

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of modified Denon AHD 2000s seen here
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page66.html

I recently tried to connect my headphone to an amp and noticed that no sound was coming through. I then tried to connect it to different sources and I can't seem to get it to work with anything, I don't even hear the pop or fizz noise when I have the connector near or inside of a source. 

I'm wondering, what could be the problem? Might I have a bad connector or do I need to get the headphones recabled or something else? These cans were recabled by A Pure Sound, I tried to contact them via email but I haven't heard any response...I suppose they might be out of business as their website hasn't been updated in years. I appreciate any advise you can give me. I'm currently traveling right now, I will be in Tokyo for 1 week and Westchester, NY, USA for 2 weeks and if anyone knows any shops or individuals that could take a look at them for me and fix them in a brief turnaround time, I would be highly appreciative! 

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 10
Have you tried lightly bending or twisting the cables near the connection points?
If there is a loose connection there should be at least some crackling noise.

It's very unusual for a headphone to just die completely and suddenly in both channels. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 10
Yea, I tried all that. Completely dead. Its so weird. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 10
If  Greqs advice hasnt solved it that only leaves blown drivers. Thats if you dont use it with an extra adapter plug.and you have tried it in other amps and it still didnt work. --If on your travels you pick up a cheap MM then connect the leads in the ohms range  and tap across the plug connections you should get a resistance reading depending on the DC resistance of the coils. If you get a S/C then thats your problem .If infinity/no reading then its either of the above. cable or drivers.   

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 10
I can try that, what is an MM and how much does it cost? What would cause blown drivers? I def didn't turn up the volume to the max at any time.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Two blown drivers at once? The only LIKELY cause (which is also ridiculously unlikely) is that you left your headphones plugged into a rather powerful tube amp, and when you switched it on the amp spiked on warm-up and blew the drivers.

If you've got a spare headphone cable or speaker cable and crocodile-clips, you could also open up the headphone and try to make contact with one of the drivers through a very low-power device like a phone or mp3 player. No risk there and you should hear something if they're still alive.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 10
MM= multi-meter-as in electronic test equipment. As you are only using it for one purpose you can buy a cheap one[less than$10] just to test them on the OHMS-low- range-. If you have never worked on electronics/headphones then I advise you do this test FIRST.Its possible that the cable is broken in the plug. You should be able to unscrew the plug cover to see if you have maybe tugged the cable loose and its holding on by the earth wire. Then if required do as Greq says.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 10
  MM= multi-meter-as in electronic test equipment. As you are only using it for one purpose you can buy a cheap one[less than$10] just to test them on the OHMS-low- range-. If you have never worked on electronics/headphones then I advise you do this test FIRST.Its possible that the cable is broken in the plug. You should be able to unscrew the plug cover to see if you have maybe tugged the cable loose and its holding on by the earth wire. Then if required do as Greq says.

Think I can find that at a radio shack? I tried plugging it into my guitar amp and they are still dead. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes Agent- Radio shack will sell you a multimeter you can chose analog[has a dial with a needle] or a digital one. Dont overspend you arent testing anything critical.Do remember that digital meters when connected to long open wires  can fluctuate wildly because  it picks up external radiation[like an antenna] due to high impedance. So in this instance maybe an analog meter is better. You can also use it to determine which wire goes to left or right ear piece. by listening to a click from right or left. Harder to do with a digital meter as less current is drawn.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back