HELP!!! Monsters Miles davis tribute headphones or Ultimate ears triplefi 10vi???
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

despisedIcon47

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Posts
2
Likes
0
I'm completely stumped on this one and I need some advice. I'm currently using the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro and I loved them, but they broke and my warranty expired. I mainly listen to death metal and jazz, but I like old school rock, electro, and hip hop as well. Both are the same price so that isn't an issue. I'm looking for overall highs, mids, lows, general clarity and detail.  Or If anyone knows an alternative headphone that is better than the miles davis or ultimate ears, let me know. I'm completely stuck on this one, any help would be much appreciated!
 
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 8

JoeyRusso

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Posts
786
Likes
22
Both the MD's and the TripleFi's have received their share of praise, you might consider others that are getting more ear time lately.  Check out the threads on the SM3, the DBA-02 and you might even save some money by choosing the MTP Coppers instead of the MD's.  There are threads where people compare all of the IEM's I listed to each other if you search them out.  Personally I haven't heard either the MD's or the TF10's but I am enjoying my Coppers.  Search out both IEM's, read the comments and reviews thoroughly and go from there.  Good luck and happy listening.
 
Aug 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 8

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Posts
3,750
Likes
386


Quote:
I'm completely stumped on this one and I need some advice. I'm currently using the ultimate ears superfi 5 pro and I loved them, but they broke and my warranty expired. I mainly listen to death metal and jazz, but I like old school rock, electro, and hip hop as well. Both are the same price so that isn't an issue. I'm looking for overall highs, mids, lows, general clarity and detail.  Or If anyone knows an alternative headphone that is better than the miles davis or ultimate ears, let me know. I'm completely stuck on this one, any help would be much appreciated!

The MDs have an absolute ton of dynamic-driver bass, very warm mids and a slightly recessed treble. People describe the triples as having a recessed mid. Maybe thinking about what you want in an earphone will help you decide what iems to look towards.

 
 
Aug 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 8

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337


Quote:
The MDs have an absolute ton of dynamic-driver bass, very warm mids and a slightly recessed treble. People describe the triples as having a recessed mid. Maybe thinking about what you want in an earphone will help you decide what iems to look towards.

 

 
good fit and large holed tips fix the treble.  Not as bright or sparkly as the Coppers but not recessed IMO.  Gold treble is recessed by comparison. 
 
 
Aug 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 8

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Posts
3,750
Likes
386


 
Quote:
 
good fit and large holed tips fix the treble.  Not as bright or sparkly as the Coppers but not recessed IMO.  Gold treble is recessed by comparison. 
 

That's interesting, with the same tips and fit, I heard the gold as having more present treble than the MDs when I listened to them both. It's part of what made me like the golds more than the MD.
 
You wouldn't say that the MD treble is as forward as the mids, would you?

 
 
Aug 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 8

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337
MDs are designed for forward mids not treble.  But the treble is definitely better than the Golds.  I'd say either tips, fit, positioning or ear canal shape are responsible for the discrepancy.  To my ears the Gold treble is not on par w/ the MD's.  And neither is the SM3 atm.  Still burning it in, calm down people.
 
Aug 8, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 8

JeFFz

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Posts
614
Likes
10
Well since your an ex sf5pro user, i did suggest the tf10. To me, they are certainly a step up from sf 5. I had a friend who had the sf 5 too and i sold him my tf10 and right when he heard them, he loved them already.
 
Depending on some people, you might not be used to the MD as those are dynamic drivers. BA and dynamic has very different sound signature. For me, i prefer dynamic drivers to BA drivers. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top