HELP! Mono to Stereo confusion
Oct 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SHAMuuu

Headphoneus Supremus
Problem

Dt100 2x8ohm wired in series I think, Mono 6.3mm jack.

Will mono jack fry my headphone amp? Need for acapella listening (dual left channel)

Will 6.3mm female to 3.5 male plugged into stereo socket fix this?

I dont think the adapter will provide stereo, but it will prevent right channel shorting right?

I'm not technically competent , so any help is appreciated.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 5
All the images I found of DT100s have stereo jacks. Are you sure it's mono and not a stereo 6.35mm jack?

Yeah it has mono jack with one ring. I ordered off eBay bc well I would rather have new dt150 but thought a dt100 would look nice. Anyway I will just use it casually for vocals.

These were used for vocal monitoring the seller told me so left channel plays on both ears. No right channel.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 5
One ring, or no ring? Mono jacks just have the tip and the sleeve (TS), stereo has tip, ring and sleeve (TRS).

If it's a mono jack plugged into a stereo amp, the ring contact in the amp's socket will contact the sleeve of the jack, shorting the right channel to ground. If it's a stereo jack wired as mono, the left and right channels are both wired to the tip and the ring is left open, so the amp's right channel does not short anywhere. For a mono jack you will need a mono to stereo adapter which does that.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 5
  One ring, or no ring? Mono jacks just have the tip and the sleeve (TS), stereo has tip, ring and sleeve (TRS).

If it's a mono jack plugged into a stereo amp, the ring contact in the amp's socket will contact the sleeve of the jack, shorting the right channel to ground. If it's a stereo jack wired as mono, the left and right channels are both wired to the tip and the ring is left open, so the amp's right channel does not short anywhere. For a mono jack you will need a mono to stereo adapter which does that.

Will the adapter just provide one channel? Only way to stereo would be to rewire it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back