help! melos owners-amp breakage
Jun 11, 2004 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blubliss

500+ Head-Fier
i got a melos sha-1 in the mail recently and a silver capacitor was broken off the circuit board (pics below). is this part essential for headphone operation or is it a part of the line amplifier. the amp played fine last night, but i worried about damaging it without this part. the other capacitor was warm after using the amp, so i was wondering if this heat was from the other parts on the board or if it was being used. a friend said he could glue it on upside down to the board and run leads. would this work? or, do i need a new one attached to the board? where can i get a new one?

is.php

is.php

is.php

thanks for any help
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Carlo, the lord of melos modding manor, should know very well what to do here.

Seems to me that part could be easily re-attached to the board, no problems.

You said the headphone out is owrking well, though, so what do you think of the sound so far? Seems you've assembled quite a nice home system now
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 6
This has happened before, so I wish the search were working. Having owned two SHA-1s, I should know how to answer your question. I'm not entirely confident in this, but I believe those two metal capacitors only function in the linestage. Carlo would know for certain.

NGF

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 6
I believe they are part of the preamp output section. This is a quote from Carlos from a previous conversation I’ve had with him:

“The SHA-1 has two large output caps off the headphone jacks and calls it the preamp stage. Yes, it appears to be an afterthought.”

Do you have a multi-meter? Can you trace the output of the caps to the pre-amp output? Maybe follow the wires? If nothings shorted and it looks like this is the pre-amp output removing it should be no different than leaving the pre-amp out disconnected.

Good Luck

Mitch

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 6
blubliss,

Thanks for giving me this link. Sorry it took me so long to read it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I believe those two metal capacitors only function in the linestage.

Quote:

If nothings shorted and it looks like this is the pre-amp output removing it should be no different than leaving the pre-amp out disconnected.

tanfenton and Mitch are correct. Using the headphone output should be fine, assuming nothing else is damaged. The cap is warm due to heat from the amp. I've got a few of those caps but they're used (pulls); PM me your address and I'll send one. (If anyone else needs any, please do the same.) I doubt any new Melos caps exist.

later,
Carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back