Help me with my next upgrade (headphones)!
Dec 28, 2016 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

InsTwin

Head-Fier
Thanks for checking in!

First of all, I currently have a Modi 2 and Magni 2 Uber powering a set of AKG K7xx's, pretty basic intro set up that I've enjoyed for quite some time, but I can't help but want more than what the K7xx is currently offering me.

I've been looking around and I've come to settle on several options for where to go next:

1) Fostex T50RP + Mods (basically a set of Mad Dogs) (~$250ish)
2) HiFiMan HE-400i (and maybe some light modding) (~$250ish)
3) TH-X00 (or the HD6XX) (~$450ish)

Each has some advantages and disadvantages and I know it's a very subjective topic, just looking for any general guidance I can get.

I know the TH-X00 would be the biggest upgrade, but they are also the most expensive.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 13
  I listen to plenty of genres, but I think something with more bass emphasis is what I'm looking for.

Really, anything that would decently compliment the K7XX.

You might consider the Audioquest Nighthawks, they don't have as much bass as the X00's, but it's still got plenty of impact and good quality too. I found the highs on the X00's to be a bit fatiguing at times. The Nighthawks still have plenty of detail but they're much smoother sounding. 

They're also going for only $350 right now since Audioquest has some new models coming out

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 13

You might consider the Audioquest Nighthawks, they don't have as much bass as the X00's, but it's still got plenty of impact and good quality too. I found the highs on the X00's to be a bit fatiguing at times. The Nighthawks still have plenty of detail but they're much smoother sounding. 

They're also going for only $350 right now since Audioquest has some new models coming out

Thanks for the suggestion! After looking into the NightHawk's they seem good, but need to be properly EQ'd to be great.  Is there any reason I would spend the extra hundred for the NightHawk's when I could get the HE400i for less?  The opinions on the NightHawk is pretty split it seems.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 13
400i isnt really a compliment to the K7XX,rather a side/upgrade depending upon your other gear.....

Nighthawk is dark and syrupy,pretty much the opposite of your K7XX,so that is a true compliment.

FWIW I'd rather have the 400i as an all arounder

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 13

Thanks for the suggestion! After looking into the NightHawk's they seem good, but need to be properly EQ'd to be great.  Is there any reason I would spend the extra hundred for the NightHawk's when I could get the HE400i for less?  The opinions on the NightHawk is pretty split it seems.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 400i's, but as monsterzero said, if you want something to compliment your K7XXs with headphones that will give you a different sound signature, the NH's are a good choice. I personally don't use an EQ with them, but they are divisive headphones, and they can be especially strange sounding the first time you hear them. I like them because they're easy to listen to, have good bass extension, low distortion, and loads of detail to pick out 

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 13
There is a lot of ways you can go at this price point. Have yet to hear the 400i's but do have the 400's and 400S's. I have the HD 6xx's also along with the HD 700's and Ether C's. When I just wat to jam out I pick the 400's just for the fun factor as long as you have powerful amp. Have not heard the 50's but did have a pair of Alpha Dogs and miss them.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 13
There is a lot of ways you can go at this price point. Have yet to hear the 400i's but do have the 400's and 400S's. I have the HD 6xx's also along with the HD 700's and Ether C's. When I just wat to jam out I pick the 400's just for the fun factor as long as you have powerful amp. Have not heard the 50's but did have a pair of Alpha Dogs and miss them.

Yeah this is my debate, with a price range between $250 and $500 there's a wide selection and each set seems to have some unique pros and cons.

My one concern with the 400i is some minor QC issues and the feeling that it's only a marginal upgrade over the k7xx.

Pretty similar concern with the T50RP, it's an upgrade once the build is finished but not really before, and either of these options may leave me wanting more in the future.

Where as the THX00 or HD6XX are solid upgrades but the most expensive of the lot...

Really wish I could demo some of these headphones before purchasing. :frowning2:

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 13
I ended up buying the HE400i, I figured if I love them I can always off load the K7XX onto someone else.  This will be a solid headphone for a while for me.  Also went ahead and picked up some pads to swap out on the HE400i, might do the grill mod as well.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Do you get the Focus A pads?

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Have no experience with those but Focus A pads work very good with the 400's and S both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back