Help me w/ a subwoofer problem... pretty please?
Feb 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, I've had my Klipsch RSW-12 sub-woofer for almost 8 years now and have never had any problems whatsoever... until now.

So the other day when I was getting ready to start a movie, like I usually do, I had to hook up some cables between my receiver and sub (just your basic RCA digital sub-woofer cable from my Onkyo receiver to the Y-adapter at the end of my sub cable which goes into my sub's L & R inputs).  Only this time something different and highly unusual happened.

Immediately after putting both sides (positive & negative) of the Y adapter into the subs inputs, my sub went nuts and threw out the loudest, interference-type pounding sound I've ever heard from it.  As best as I can tell, I've basically determined that the incident had happened when I jiggled the Y adapter near the input of the sub.  Actually, what I usually do as the very last step when hooking up my sub is press in the cords into their inputs to make double sure they're in their jacks as tight as possible.  That was exactly when my sub went haywire. 

After inspecting and attempting to find out what went wrong, I think the problem may have to do with the inputs on the back of my sub being loose where they come out of the interior of the unit.  So I thought may be there's a bad connection at the end of the sub cable, not making a full connection?   I sort of confirmed this when I tried a different/older sub-woofer cord I had... it did the same exact thing my Monster Y adapter did when it was hooked up.  Also, I noticed that I can grab either input on the back of the sub in between my two fingers and jiggle it as if it's similar to jiggling a loose tooth.

I found amongst my tools a certain type of screw adapter that can be used to take off the back panel of my sub where the inputs and outputs are (along w/ all of the other switches).  But even though I know I can do it, I'm understandably hesitant about taking off such a large panel from the back of my sub on such an expensive sub!?!?  

What's even more worrisome is that I'm almost 100% sure my sub is no longer covered under any warranty. Perhaps the only good thing about possibly having to have my sub professionally repaired is that this problem has to do with a rather simple fix... the L & R RCA input jacks on the back of my sub.  That somehow doesn't seem too complicated of a problem to have to deal with and or pay for as a repair.

My question(s) to all of you experts out there is, has anyone else out there had a similar type of problem with their sub and or speaker, or for that matter any RCA input jack?  If so, is it something you think that I can fix myself, or would I be better off taking it to someone no matter how simple of an issue it might be?  Also, does the source of the problem I'm having sound right?  Or does anyone think something more complex is going on?

Thanx to anyone in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!  I love my sub-woofer to death and it would be horrible if I have to go much longer without having its effects add what they do to the movies I watch.  Because while just having my two bookshelf speakers for stereo sound during my movies is passable, not having the full-on sound of my sub sure as hell takes away from the experience more than I ever thought possible.

Thank you again for your time :)

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 7
Bump to the top.

Any advice at all is welcome 

Thanx :)

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Can you solder?

The solder holding pins on the RCA plug may just be broken, and possibly causing a short.

Examine the board after you disassemble the back of the sub for any cracked joints.

Make sure you discharge the amplifier before touching anything for risk of shocks, probably best to let it sit a while after unplugging, just in case.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 7
^^^
Thanx a lot for the response, I really appreciate it!  

So I opened up that panel on the back of my sub (a total of 20+ screws) and everything looks good as far as the soldering goes(which I've never done btw), as far as I can tell.  Since I couldn't really do anything, I proceeded to screw on the back panel as tight as I could.  As I was screwing the screws back in directly around the RCA inputs, I noticed that they (the RCA input jacks) were a lot tighter feeling than before.  They basically weren't moving around as much, like that "loose tooth" feeling I described before.  The same in fact was true about the entire back panel... it all just seemed like it was better secured. 

So, as I once again hooked up everything, I was right in my observation that the whole panel around the RCA inputs (as well as everything else: knobs, switches, etc.) were a lot tighter and more firmly in place.  However, the lower RCA input (the red one) still showed that it was a little loose and could be pushed in slightly... but not as much as before.  In turn, when the Y-adapter is plugged in, the input jacks still wiggle around a bit causing that distortion noise (especially the red/right/bottom input).  Again though, it's not as severe as before and my sub seems to not go into that "seizure-like" state where the cone goes nuts and it sounds like a bomb goes off.  Again though, it does make that loose connection sound when I make the slightest of movements around the area of the RCA inputs.  I know that's not normal.  

I also discovered that one of the pins on my Y-adapter wiggles a bit also, but that the same thing happens when I hook up a different subwoofer cord... so it may be both the input jacks as well as my RCA sub cable Y-adapter??  I've now decided to go ahead and buy/try out a new sub Y adapter cord to see if the same thing happens.

All in all, in addition to their insecure placement, it just seems like RCA inputs don't stick out far enough for the cables to make a secure connection.  I honestly just don't know what can be done or what I can do to make the RCA inputs act normal like they are for ex., on the back of my DVD player??

Any more help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, I'll take any help that anyone can offer, no matter what it is.  the more the better :)  And thank you above for your advice... it's nice to know there are people out there who try to help their fellow audiophiles. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 7
I do believe that you could just hook up the LFE? output to directly either the left or right RCA plug, without the splitter, to see if it still makes the problem.

My sub goes nuts when I touch the positive RCA tip with either of the plugs on the back (essentially when I'm plugging it in when it's on, as my hands are shaky), so it's a fair bet that there's some sort of short going on in or around there, especially if the RCA tips are wobbly.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 7
yeah, it still does make that "loose connection" sound when i plug in just the single dig sub cable to the positive RCA input jack by itself... w/out the Y-adapter.  but, the sound/interference doesn't seem to be as pronounced?  i'm sure you know, but the reason why i use the Y adapter is because it gives the sound a few more db's of volume output, making the bass that much more deep/loud/involving/etc.  so i really don't want to stop hooking up my sub that way.

anyways, so you think there may be some sort of short?   when i opened up the back panel the other day, i saw where the small silver cables were soldered on to the circuitry board.  and from what i saw, everything seemed to be correctly/tightly connected.   but that obviously doesn't rule out some sort of 'short' that you're referring to?  and also, i cannot get directly behind where the input jacks go into the unit/panel... there is a small, completely sealed black box glued onto the back of the panel surrounding that area making it impossible to see or access where the input jacks go into/behind the circuit panel.  so i really can't do anything unless i forcefully break or take apart that black box-looking thing, of which i'm not even sure it comes apart?

the thing is, as long as no one pulls-on/steps-on/jiggles the sub cable near or around the area of connection, the sound from the sub is still produced like it normally does... from what i can hear.

so what do you think i should do next?  and if i do end up having to take it in to be repaired, how much do you approx estimate it would cost for such a repair... which imo doesn't seem too complicated of a repair?  or, if it is soldering problem like you mentioned earlier, a) how can i make sure it is in fact a soldering problem, and b) what does it take to fix such an issue and is it difficult?

and thank you yet again for all of your help & advice, i really feel better talking to someone about this before i make any final decisions. :)

thanx again,
Ricky

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 7
If there is a short/issue of some sort it would be within/behind that black box that houses the RCA jacks. It's highly likely that the solder holding the leads to the board/wire? are just cracked or broken.

If that's the case, you'd be better off taking it to a shop to get it repaired, or just possibly getting the RCA jacks replaced, which hopefully, shouldn't be too expensive if the problem isn't too big.

I wouldn't recommend learning how to solder on something as expensive as this
tongue.gif
, and also not knowing how to access the box would be a major issue as well, if you were to attempt to fix this yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back