Help me understand WHY I like a soundsignature.
May 5, 2016 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iCupboard

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I have a hard time explaining why I like headphones.

Could you guys help me? I am not technical, but would like to be able to understand why I like certain headphones.

Headphones I like:
AKG K550 Really detailed, liked the dry (?) sound of it, projected sound far away.
HP100 SoundMagic: I think idem, though I am not sure, did not listen to it long, because the left driver was broken. Got money Back, did not buy it again.
B & O H6 (A bit) idem, but more Bass, and not that spacious sound? Think this has to do with a smaller soundstage?

Headphone I liked but got bested by anothet headphone:
AKG K272HD (Bested by AKG K550), to my untrained ears had around the same sound as the AKG K550, but significantly more muffled.

Headphones I did not like:
Audio Technica MSR7 Treble hurt my eyes, sound too in my face.
Shure SRH840. Sound too in my face, can not listen to it longer than 5 minutes.

I think this has to do a lot with the soundstage, though I am not sure.
Could you guys help me? Thanks!

May 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Generally, you want a headphone that tries to sound like a speaker. Too "in your head" can be confusing, disorienting even, if you are totally used to proper speakers.

It also depends on what music you listen to - one common stereotype around forums is Grado=metal, Sennheiser=jazz, but I prefer the reverse. Symphonic, progressive, and power metal have too many instruments that end up being a confused wall at my face where every instruments sounds like being on the receiving end of a fast-punching anime character (or in video games, E.Honda's hundred hand slaps or Charlotte from Samurai Showdon's equivalent one button mashing move), while Grados make jazz sound more "raw," not perfect like a studio recording, so instead of sleepy, too relaxed vocals I get shades of reflections off the wall of a small jazz club or accentuating the rougher tones of brass instrument.

May 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for explaing that, 

Generally, you want a headphone that tries to sound like a speaker. Too "in your head" can be confusing, disorienting even, if you are totally used to proper speakers.

It also depends on what music you listen to - one common stereotype around forums is Grado=metal, Sennheiser=jazz, but I prefer the reverse. Symphonic, progressive, and power metal have too many instruments that end up being a confused wall at my face where every instruments sounds like being on the receiving end of a fast-punching anime character (or in video games, E.Honda's hundred hand slaps or Charlotte from Samurai Showdon's equivalent one button mashing move), while Grados make jazz sound more "raw," not perfect like a studio recording, so instead of sleepy, too relaxed vocals I get shades of reflections off the wall of a small jazz club or accentuating the rougher tones of brass instrument.

Thanks for explaining that, ProtegeManiac. I guess that's it! :) I find it rather hard to relax aswell, when tye are "in my head" that much. I am wanting to buy a new headphone, and I need a closed can. I think the AKG K550 will fit that bill the most, right now. 

Thanks again! 

EDIT: The thing is, though. I never listen to speakers of any sort. But I think it has to do that I started with AKG K272HD then straight gone for the AKG K550. 

May 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 4
There is really two things going on for most. Where they are from and where they going to.

What we think is correct has a lot to do with what we have been exposed to. At some point our brain said this is sounding right. It seems that the differences from closed-back or open-back will continue to be thought of as right depending on signature history, though each different. And as listed genres listened to at most times demand a style of signature to be reproduced at best.

Still at times we can be fooled by a boatload of euphoric color, only to get bored in the end after the purchase. We may get bored with the sound, thinking it's not showing us all the detail later.

Your liking of the AKG house sound is showing you like treble detail, speed and soundstage.

Some members are going to a flat reponse as a sign of learning at Head-Fi, they may be coming from more color but have changed style. I have had closed back heaphones most in my life, so I always seem to like the closed effect?

I own a small collection of headphones but use a closed back for rock and AKG k701 for vocals and soundtracks. Basicly one is bass heavy and one bass light. Seems to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back