Help me to make a decision
Nov 16, 2002 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

daffa

Head-Fier
Hi All, I am a newbie here and I need your advice to make a decision on my future upgrade. Now I have Senn HD600 (with Cardas cable) driven by EarMax (Standard version with telefunken tubes) and also a Grado RS-1 driven by Creek OBH-11 with PSU OBH-2. My source is the weakest that is Bose CD Player. I am planning to upgrade my CD player to NAD C540. I will also buy ATH W1000 as well as Sony CD3000. I am collecting headphones so I never ever sell my headphones.

My problem is I have additional budget of $800 for a headphone amp. I am already satisfied enough with my HD600/EarMax combo although I know from other threads that there is room to improve by upgrading to EarMax Pro or Sugden. And I am not so happy with my RS-1/Creek OBH-11 combo. I am thinking to buy only ONE amp that can go with my HD600, RS-1 as well as my future CD3000 and ATH W1000.

For RS-1 I know I could go with MAD Ear+ since I read a good review of it with Grados. But I am not sure whether it will work with HD600 and the Sony/Audio Technica.

Other alternatives are buying Sugden or Micro Zotl, the Corda Pre-Head or even Antness's Gilmore amp.
Considering the different impedances of my headphone collections I am not sure which amp will be the best.

I need only one headphone amp as my ultimate amp. The rest of my money will go for headphones.

Any opinion will be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Best
DJ

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 11
smily_headphones1.gif
YGPM

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 11
YGPM(again!)
cool.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 11
There isn't really any such thing as an amp that can drive all headphones incredibly well. Given the wide range of differences between different headphones (electronically speaking), it would be impossible for an amp to be able to drive them all well.

Why don't you spend less on getting many different headphones, and rather more on getting a better amp for the HD600 or RS 1 that you already have (and are already two of the best headphones out there)?

Nov 17, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 11
An Earmax Pro would do very well for both the HD600 and RS1. else you might be interested in a Solid State Amp, upgrading the creek as you already have the Earmax.

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Try reading thru the section on full featured reviews of the various amps. There's tons of info there that should help you decide which way to go dependent upon musical choices and such.

And welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the walltet!!!
biggrin.gif

(Standard greeting for those who are new here!)

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Don't fortget to pay attention to the interconnects too.
As I see it you have good amp and soon to be good source, so a good IC is needed for them.

Anyway, you in indonesia? jakarta? I'm in Makassar..
Hi to you there
biggrin.gif

It's very rare to see Indonesian who spend so much on audio equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 11
Hi Guyferd,
My IC now is Synergistic Research (Standard version, not Alpha), well if the source sucks it will bring down the whole system as well. Do you think I have to upgrade it? I know I can find Ecosse Diva here in Jakarta for $110. It is funny many audio retailers here recommend the British Audio as the mecca of hi-end audio world here.

Where are you in Makassar? Actually many Indonesians spent A LOT for audio equipments but there is not much forum for them to chat like in HeadFi. I think most of them spend their money for car audio rather than home audio (except for Home Theater which is popoular here). Well, you know traffic jam here in Jakarta.

I live in apartments so I cannot turn my speakers very loud. That's why I use many headphones and I like them since I bought my first can back in 1999.

Peace
DJ

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 11
daffa..
yeah my home is in Makassar.. I mean my family is here. But I go to singapore to study
biggrin.gif

Yeap.. I understand.. alot of people spend on the car equipment..hhee.. but I think car audio is much less hi-fi than any of the home hi-fi rite? I mean given that the acoustic , positioning etc can all affect the overall sound..

Anyway, at least jakarta is good people are into hi-fi. Peole in makassar are into car-fi :d
sucks.. noone is importing hi-fi hometheather system and stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back