HELP me to find the right ULTRASONE headphone .
Feb 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

STAXXER

New Head-Fier
hello people!

I have to buy a new headphone from ULTRASONE , I 'm thinking about some new model like 2900 or 2400 etc.., or even 2200 a lot more affordable than new ones.(someone say 2200 own the same speakers as the 2400 ,confirmed by Ultrasone CS),in advantage this new models come out with S-Logic Plus technology (not the 2400) , honestly i'll use it with the tablet PC(at the beginning for everyday use) and of course a portable amp (i'll choose the right amp next) .

Now, this would be my first high quality headset so i'm thinking a lot to buy the 2200 and a good amp , but on the net hundreds of threads talks about the advantages of many old models with better price of course! 

Would be  better to buy an old one for less to spend more on amp or vice versa?

What do you think about that based on your Ultrasone experience ?

I'm very confuse about.

Thank you guys !

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 13
I would love to help, but im not an Ultrasone boy... (not much experience with them, latest models) 
tongue.gif

Where are the ultrasone owners? 

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Well I'm under the impression that the 2900 has the drivers of the pro 900 - which I heard yesterday and was impressed (I currently own the Pro 750s to relate). But the 2200/2400 I can't really help you.

Personally I'm not into open headphones, which the ones you're listing are. And the 2200 don't seem to fair to well in reviews - and it leaks a lot/isolates poorly.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 13
honestly i just know the brand to buy , not right the model either.

So i'm trying to understand if does worth buy the pro line or just the hifi line,(because i can't pay for the Edition series),at any case i'll buy a ray samuels amp/dac to work with my tablet pc ,someone says that the pro line it's a bit too detailed and still the risk to listen some file right as they were recorded or compressed(BAD!), but i love details .
I'm pretty confused.
As much post i read in the forums as well still confused.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 13
I personally did not like any of the open Ultrasone headphones. They were incredibly sibilant. If you want to go open, I would recommend going ATH AD2000 if you want that Ultrasone-ish sound. The AD2000 are very fast headphones. I would also recommend the Beyerdynamic 770 or 880 too.  Ultrasones are better closed IMO.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Well open or closed depends on you. Where do you intend to listen to your headphones? In public or in private? Open headphones leak a lot of sound, whereas closed keep the sound in. Open headphones will sound "better" than the closed headphones at that price range, but also don't isolate well (so background sounds are easily heard).

And what type of music. If you're just getting into headphones then I'd start a bit lower. The HFI-580 is well regarded, although I've never heard it. The Pro 750 would be my personal recommendation as I have it and it's spectacular - but there are people out there who feel that the Pro 750/900 have issues with sibilance. These are two examples of closed headphones though, and we'd need to know your budget.

And to the comment regarding that Ultrasone's can be "too detailed" and emphasize the bad in low quality music, I'm going to have to agree. I luckily have 99% of my music at 256kbps, or higher, at least 80% at 320kbps, but the few songs at 128kbps sound quite poor - not an issue for me, but could be an issue for many.

And the biggest question is why ultrasone? They are good (imo), but it's not like they blow other brands out of the water..

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 13
well, i choose Ultrasone because of the S-Logic technology .

I don't care much if open or closed ( open is better because it let the ear canal to breath better than closed do and it' pretty important),now my options still Pro 900 (a bit expensive for me considering i have to buy the amp also ) or the HFI 2200 or 2400 (today i found the HFI 2200 ULE model,does someone know the difference between HFI 2200 and HFI 2200 ULE , which one is older ?) .

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 13
I have the Pro 2900, though I have not had it for long, and I haven't had issues with sibilance like others have mentioned.  I have certainly noticed sibilance at times, but it seems to be from the recording and not the headphones themselves.  They are much more detailed and faster than the other headphones I have tried (MS1i, D1000, G2A, S4...) along with a better soundstage, which should be expected with the higher asking price for the 2900s.  I have only ever found one review on here for the 2900s and most of the posts regarding them are assumptions about the sound based on the idea that they use the same drivers as the 900s.  I have not heard the 900 so I can't tell you how they compare.  I can tell you that I have not noticed some of the concerns people have posted about the 900 sound.  Some have called the 900's mids recessed.  I have not found the mids of the 2900 to be recessed and this is coming from primarily listening to the MS1.  They are not as pronounced as on the MS1, but I currently prefer the 2900 for rock and metal (death, black, progressive) which is a Grado/Alessandro strength.  I also have found them to be far superior to my other headphones for acoustic guitar, piano, and vocal tracks.  Brian Wilson's Smile on these is simply great in my opinion.  I did have some concern about bass quantity when I ordered these and went ahead with the order based on the idea that something like the Kees mod could help with the bass if necessary.  I have not found a need for any type of mod to control the bass and I am from a "basshead."  The bass is certainly there in greater quantity than on my other phones (with the exception of the Klipsch S4 which I am really not a fan of) but it doesn't obscure anything else. 

I tried them straight from an iPod classic purely out of curiosity and based on that I can tell you right now that you will not get anywhere near the full potential of these straight from a tablet.  My usual source for these is an Auzentech Bravura sound card.  It does have a built in amp, but it is not certainly not the greatest source out there.  These do sound significantly better from the Bravura than from an iPod, though. 

Again, I cannot give a direct comparison to the closed Ultrasone models, but hopefully my impressions helped at least a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back