Help me to choose the right headphones
Aug 24, 2017 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Leonman44

New Head-Fier
Hello mates,
Posting for my first time :)

Ok , right now i own the Sennheiser HD215 for 4 years , i always hated them for not having bass but they are crystal clear and quite solid + a small amp.
So right now i am searching for a set that can blow my ears away with a big bass hit without getting distorted when i get them loud.
I like listening to house , deep house , mixs and bits. I also game a lot!

I have already tried the Sony XB950AP and wow what a bass , my ears was trembling , never could imagine headphones hitting like a subwoofer BUT it came with serious flows , mids was dull and highs were fine but nowhere near to my hd215's. The big problem though was when i did crank up the volume to get them loud , then the mids were going crazy like a helicopter effect , more like running with my car, then opening my window and air started hitting in my ear(faf-faf-faf-faf) , i dont know if that was some sort of distortion but it was very annoying , loud and completely a break dealer , i even tried a second pair and was the same so i returned them back.:triportsad:

I know that jvc sz2000 is recommended for the bass but it seems to have poor structure quality and can't find one within europe in a reasonal price.
I also get a recommendation about the philips fidelio x2 and i found a deal -50% , great price but after seeing a review they seem to have a sub-bass distortion when you crank up the volume again and they lack the sub-bass anyway...
So i am so confused! Am i searching for something that does not exist?

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 7
What's your budget? The Fostex TH900 and Z1R apparently have good bass

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Am i searching for something that does not exist?
Imho: Yes.
There are Headphones that produce good low end. But Sub-bass and most Bass frequencys are more "felt than heard" irl. That's something no headphone, no matter how good can do. That's inherent to the fact that it's a headphone.
The "Helicopter" effect you were hearing is inherent to single full range drivers. Once you push a certain level, the driver is not capable to reproduce the high and low frequencys at the same time. Physical limitation (apart from electrostats i think...). The Low frequencys just move the driver so much, that the higher frequencys can't be transmitted anymore.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Id suggest a Cayin 5 amp
V-Moda M100
a Modi MB(if you need a DAC)

The Cayin 5 has a bass-boost feature and the V-Moda handles EQ rather well.
I would suggest a pad swap on the V-Moda for comfort...also try PMing @DiscoProJoe for his advice on EQing the M-100.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 7
I would say go for Fidelio X2 if you have a good deal. It's probably one of best headphones for that price.
If you are looking for a closed option with solid bass, the DT 770 is very hard to beat (or its newer alternative - Custom One Pro Plus which offers even more bass, but for some may not sound as good as dt770)
V-Moda M100 would be great if you want maximum portability .

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 7
I would say go for Fidelio X2 if you have a good deal. It's probably one of best headphones for that price.
If you are looking for a closed option with solid bass, the DT 770 is very hard to beat (or its newer alternative - Custom One Pro Plus which offers even more bass, but for some may not sound as good as dt770)
V-Moda M100 would be great if you want maximum portability .

Well yeah , it seems that my best choices within my budget are dt770 , fidelio x2 , modas are more expensive and i plan to use them only within my house but theres the custom one studio similar to plus which seems promising but after seeing the reviews the bass doesn't kick that hard even with the best bass switch setting.
So I am leaning towards the fidelio , i never used an open back before but i didn't like the "music inside my head" + the heat from the closed ones.
In the end of the day the open back ones might worth it for me , even if they are that boomy i always prefered to use my speakers + subwoofer due to the more natural environmental audio reproduce but i am not allowed to use them in most of the time so i really hope the open back ones will close this gap between speakers and normal headphones.:ksc75smile:

Imho: Yes.
There are Headphones that produce good low end. But Sub-bass and most Bass frequencys are more "felt than heard" irl. That's something no headphone, no matter how good can do. That's inherent to the fact that it's a headphone.
The "Helicopter" effect you were hearing is inherent to single full range drivers. Once you push a certain level, the driver is not capable to reproduce the high and low frequencys at the same time. Physical limitation (apart from electrostats i think...). The Low frequencys just move the driver so much, that the higher frequencys can't be transmitted anymore.

Thanks for the explanation! Sony did manage to make this real but yeah , it limited this headphones so much , they were worth only listening from mid to high mids max levels of loudness , i would say an android set the most!:triportsad:
If its this way i will definitely prefer a more balanced one and just enjoy it without any flaws! :o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back