Help me to choose my first headphone
May 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Elocau

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new on the forum and with hifi headphone,

I want to buy my first headphone and i'm lost with all the possibilities. I will try to describe as much as I can. I hope you will understand what I mean.

I will use the headphones via my laptop. To avoid power problems I will buy a DAC/AMP combo like the Fiio Olympus E10K (I saw many people advising him). I will use the headphones sedentarily.

Regarding my musical preferences: I listen a lot of Hip Hop and RnB (current and old), a little classical music, a little jazz and soundtrack from movies and video game. I like the bass but not the ones that are much too deep and runny, it makes me nauseous. I like to hear voices clearly without it being too sharp.

Whatever open back or close back, I'm ok with both just want the best for the price. If possible, something well built that can last over time

For the budget I would say 200$ max.

Thx a lot for the help

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 15
Audio Technica ATH-M50x ( good sound with slight bass emphasis, portable- will last if you lotion the earpads every 6 months )

Beyerdynamic DT880 ( 250 Ohm version, well made and comfortable, even sound with a slight treble spike near 7.5kHz so if you are sensitive to treble spikes avoid this headphone )

V-Moda M80 ( these are on-ear so if you are sensitive to headphones resting on your ear avoid these )

May 19, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Audio Technica ATH-M50x ( good sound with slight bass emphasis, portable- will last if you lotion the earpads every 6 months )

Beyerdynamic DT880 ( 250 Ohm version, well made and comfortable, even sound with a slight treble spike near 7.5kHz so if you are sensitive to treble spikes avoid this headphone )

V-Moda M80 ( these are on-ear so if you are sensitive to headphones resting on your ear avoid these )
Hi NA Blur, thanks for the help. What do you think about the Beyerdynamic DT-990 pro ? And when you talk about the Beyerdynamic DT880 this is the PRO version too? There is a large difference between the 32 Ohms and the 250 Ohms?

May 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 15
Hi m-i-c-k-e-y thx for the reply and your help but I live in France and this is why I prefer to order on a french website for the DAC/Amp. Same thing for the headphones + for the first time I want to buy an unusued headphone.

May 19, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 15
The DT990 is fun sounding for sure, but very V-shaped. It has emphasis in both bass and treble regions making it a great gaming headphone, but not a natural sounding headphone.

I owned it for a while, but it was too colored for me to enjoy it. You might dig it.

May 19, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 15
The DT990 is fun sounding for sure, but very V-shaped. It has emphasis in both bass and treble regions making it a great gaming headphone, but not a natural sounding headphone.

I owned it for a while, but it was too colored for me to enjoy it. You might dig it.
Thank you very much, I am gradually advancing in my research. For the moment I keep ATH-M50x and the DT880. I remove the DT990 the other two are better than him. I will listen musics on my pc and gaming too but I think focus music is better, I'm not a FPS pro player...

What do you think about the AKG K-702 and the DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms ?

May 20, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 15
Pardon! Didn't saw your location.

May 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 15
The AKG 702 is a huge headphone, doesn't fit well sometimes due to the poor autosizing mechanism, and is bass light. I would shy away from it.

May 20, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 15
The FiiO amp is a bad choice for fullsize headphones. There could be exceptions, but fullsize headphones need desktop amps, not portable/battery operated devices.

Sennheiser HD 25 is indestructible, sounds great, every part is available to buy, you will look like a spaceman or idiot in public but you will be smiling.

May 20, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 15
The FiiO amp is a bad choice for fullsize headphones. There could be exceptions, but fullsize headphones need desktop amps, not portable/battery operated devices.

Sennheiser HD 25 is indestructible, sounds great, every part is available to buy, you will look like a spaceman or idiot in public but you will be smiling.
Hi gimmeheadroom thx the reply, unfortunetly the HD25 is a supra-aural I prefer circum for my confort :/
But I don't understand why the FiiO is bad as DAC/Amp combo, the battery can cause problems? I want a combo easy to use, something I can plug on my PC or another device if I want and something under 100-120$. I know nothing in HiFi I just read some people advice the FiiO when newcomers ask for a DAC/Amp combo

May 20, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 15
I understand. I'm sorry, I don't know enough about headphones in that price range to help. Maybe Meze 99.

Fullsize headphones are mostly designed for desktop amps. Portable amps usually don't have enough power. They are designed for convenience first and sound quality second.

Sure there are exceptions to every rule but the high power portable amps cost a lot of money and the battery needs recharging often.

To avoid disappoinment maybe you can visit some shops and try the equipment before you buy.

May 20, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 15
I don't have shops near my house, I can only rely on the advice of people who know a little about audio.
It's a first purchase with a limited budget, I'm mostly looking for a headset that suits my musical preferences, give me an idea of listening with headphones and a setup that can allow me to use my headphone to the maximum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back