Help me to choose a used DAP.
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #61 of 81
Oct 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #62 of 81
Thanks! If indeed I get a Japan unit I shall go follow the steps given. The volume cap is only applied for the EU version right? How to distinguish between the regional version?

I realized that I've missed few wm1a which are sold in head fi recently.
It’ll indicate J if that’s the letter you select for Japan region and volume limited will be KO’d

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #63 of 81
Plan to keep an eye on zx507 as well since its price for new unit is within the range of used wm1a. Seems like it's a worthy competitor to wm1a, also assuming that future FW mods will unlock a different sound signature or quality. Streaming should be a bonus as well although I find that it can also be a distraction.

Or is it still no match for wm1a (SQ wise)?

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #64 of 81
Plan to keep an eye on zx507 as well since its price for new unit is within the range of used wm1a. Seems like it's a worthy competitor to wm1a, also assuming that future FW mods will unlock a different sound signature or quality. Streaming should be a bonus as well although I find that it can also be a distraction.

Or is it still no match for wm1a (SQ wise)?
It doesn't have enough power to drive headphones vs the 1A. I would simply get the 1A or 1Z.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #65 of 81
Just wondering is there any different variation of wm1a that I should be aware of apart from the regional variance? Let say if I bought a 2018 unit, is it any different from a 2016 version? And for the regional variance, when we unlock it to a specific region, the sound signature will change as well?

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #66 of 81
Hi..these are the few shortlisted used DAPs under my consideration. All of these is priced around the same as a new mid range DAP (ie : DX160, M11) which is under my consideration as well. Since it's quite impossible to find a comparison review of all these DAPs I hope this forum could assist my selection :

AK120ii
1. Streaming available but for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
3. Battery replaceable with Youtube video replacement guide and battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-bright but soundstage less than AK240
5. USB DAC function available
6. Pocketable size

AK240
1. Streaming for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
3. Battery replaceable with Youtube video replacement guide and battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-bright with better soundstage compared to AK120ii
5. USB DAC function available
6. Pocketable but slightly larger than AK120ii

Questyle QP1R
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. No video guide for battery replacement in Youtube and no battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-transparent and some say it's quite dry.
5. Is USB DAC function available?
6. Mostly raised issues are on the scroll wheel, battery drain and UI.

Opus#1
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. Battery replaceable with battery replacement available at Aliexpress.
4. Some reviews said that it's neutral-transparent while some said that it's neutral-warm.
5. Is USB DAC function available?
6. With the price offered and good reviews it gets, it seems like a good choice but with the plastic body, I'm worried if it couldn't last as long as I wanted it to be.

Sony NW-ZX1
Mixed reviews. Not sure if it should be made part of the list.

Sony NW-Zx300
Mixed reviews. Not sure if it should be made part of the list.

Or should I just go for the new DX160? Any feedback is appreciated!

AK120ii & AK240, too old and slow, with well used batteries. Opus#1, they don't seem to be trading anymore.

Questyle have no UK distributor and never reply to emails. So no hope of repair. If you are not in the uk, may be different. Make sure you get the newer version introduced in late 2017. It has a better scroll wheel and a battery indicator that actually works. They had a massive recall a few years ago with the original version.

Personally, I'd go for a new mid-price DAP like the Fiio M11 or iBasso DX160.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #67 of 81
AK120ii & AK240, too old and slow, with well used batteries. Opus#1, they don't seem to be trading anymore.

Questyle have no UK distributor and never reply to emails. So no hope of repair. If you are not in the uk, may be different. Make sure you get the newer version introduced in late 2017. It has a better scroll wheel and a battery indicator that actually works. They had a massive recall a few years ago with the original version.

Personally, I'd go for a new mid-price DAP like the Fiio M11 or iBasso DX160.

Design wise (cosmetically not practicality), I liked the qp1r the most. But based on reviews on their support and lack of parts available (ie: replacement battery) I don't think I'll go with it. Although some reviews praised it's transparent sound quality some say it's bland & dry as well.

As for now I'm looking for a good deal for a used wm1a though if it's a good deal, that thing will be gone in seconds! I might be going straight for dx160 if this hunt gets tiring.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #68 of 81
I upgraded from my AK120ii to a 320 and greatly enjoyed the improvement - to a more detailed sound from the warmer 120ii and which I guess will be the sig of the 240 also? When going back and forth after getting the 320, I came to feel the 120ii was sounding slower and more muddy in comparison. For some that might appear to be "warmth" and enjoyable. For me, running Tidal was also a consideration which both of them do.

What I most appreciate from the Astell & Kerns are some of the accessories - the CD ripper is an excellent addition and also the AK Recorder (for the 300 series only). I do use it for sound recording but the vinyl ripping is a fantastic feature.

Still, I am always aware with the older AKs that Tidal could well be dropped at any point.. and who knows if the resource the CD and Vinyl ripper uses for track details will always be around. The danger of any older, connected tech I guess. But hey, it will still work as the player.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #69 of 81
I upgraded from my AK120ii to a 320 and greatly enjoyed the improvement - to a more detailed sound from the warmer 120ii and which I guess will be the sig of the 240 also? When going back and forth after getting the 320, I came to feel the 120ii was sounding slower and more muddy in comparison. For some that might appear to be "warmth" and enjoyable. For me, running Tidal was also a consideration which both of them do.

What I most appreciate from the Astell & Kerns are some of the accessories - the CD ripper is an excellent addition and also the AK Recorder (for the 300 series only). I do use it for sound recording but the vinyl ripping is a fantastic feature.

Still, I am always aware with the older AKs that Tidal could well be dropped at any point.. and who knows if the resource the CD and Vinyl ripper uses for track details will always be around. The danger of any older, connected tech I guess. But hey, it will still work as the player.

I always wonder how good is it the AK CD ripper to cost it that much rather than buying additional software for CD ripping through Windows OS. EAC works fine and it's free.

As for the vinyl ripper, I'm now struggling to rip my vinyl collection and regret selling my AT turntable which could rip vinyl to PC with just a USB connection. Now I need to use the amp from my speaker setup and connect it to my PC through the 3.5mm connector. Luckily the Denon amp have rec. out function from phono input.

Back to the topic of my quest, believe it or not, I've taken the plunge and bought a WM1A! For USD550 I believe it's a good deal. Now waiting for it to arrive. I was tempted to go for DX160 which was on sale for around USD380 but I believe 1A could withstand me longer compared to 160 (software and hardware wise). And this is the most expensive used audio device that I've bought, and all of my audio device from tape deck, CD player to amp and speaker are bought used, except for my record player, headphone and IEMs which I've bought new.

So thanks for all the feedbacks, suggestions and comments which has lead me to this purchase, which was not in my initial consideration at all!! It was through this thread that I've made my decision. Will update when the 1A arrives!

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #70 of 81
Everything I have bought has been secondhand. The CD ripper cost me £150 I think. It is sooooo much easier than using software on a PC, naming tracks etc. I think I had a copy of Foobar that maybe found the information and did it for you too.. but I think you have to pay for that anyway? I appreciate how it just goes straight onto the DAP from the CD ripper and I don't have to even look at yet another computer screen. I can read a book and have a screen-free day.

I hope you enjoy the Sony! Always wanted to try one.

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #71 of 81
Everything I have bought has been secondhand. The CD ripper cost me £150 I think. It is sooooo much easier than using software on a PC, naming tracks etc. I think I had a copy of Foobar that maybe found the information and did it for you too.. but I think you have to pay for that anyway? I appreciate how it just goes straight onto the DAP from the CD ripper and I don't have to even look at yet another computer screen. I can read a book and have a screen-free day.

I hope you enjoy the Sony! Always wanted to try one.

Buying used item has been a positive experience for me so far, except for some purchases, so it just came naturally to me.

Yup..staring into screens can be tiring by itself. Going through books or record sleeves is better as its' a form of therapy for me, which is why I prefer purchasing music in physical copies. Nowadays records will mostly comes with digital downloads so that helps in getting both the physical copies and portability of listening to music.

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #72 of 81
IMG_20201205_162602.jpg

Finally it has arrived!

To be honest my initial impression was kind of "mehh" but after listening to various tracks both lossy and lossless, it's clear to me that the difference between lossy and lossless is audible with this player, which I sometimes couldn't differentiate when listening through my S9.

Now still experimenting with the functions, hooking it up with my home speaker set-up, pairing it with my phone for streaming and all seems to fit into my usage, except that it couldn't pair with my Xiaomi Mi A1.

Anyway it's time to close this thread but not before I give the shout out to some of the people that has helped me in the purchase of this unit which I've bought from an online audio store based in Vietnam. This store could've easily ripped me off but after conversing for months, my hunch tells me that he could be trusted and the rest is history.

This is his FB page so maybe you guys can explore : https://www.facebook.com/lucachi2nd/

Since this store doesn't ship oversea, I need to find someone who could help to post it to me. I quickly reached to a friend who owns a record store called Tandang (physical and online) and he linked me to a friend in Vietnam, who's a Russian but now lived in Vietnam and plays in a crossover trash punk band called Cut Lon.

Tandang online store : https://www.tandangstore.com/

Cut Lon bandcamp : https://cutlon.bandcamp.com/

And not to miss all the replies and recommendations from @ehjie , @Redcarmoose and EVERYONE who've participated in this thread!

It's refreshing to experience that I could still rely on the network of audio and music community from throughout the world.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #73 of 81
Cheers!

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #74 of 81
IMG_20201205_162602.jpg
Finally it has arrived!

To be honest my initial impression was kind of "mehh" but after listening to various tracks both lossy and lossless, it's clear to me that the difference between lossy and lossless is audible with this player, which I sometimes couldn't differentiate when listening through my S9.

Now still experimenting with the functions, hooking it up with my home speaker set-up, pairing it with my phone for streaming and all seems to fit into my usage, except that it couldn't pair with my Xiaomi Mi A1.

Anyway it's time to close this thread but not before I give the shout out to some of the people that has helped me in the purchase of this unit which I've bought from an online audio store based in Vietnam. This store could've easily ripped me off but after conversing for months, my hunch tells me that he could be trusted and the rest is history.

This is his FB page so maybe you guys can explore : https://www.facebook.com/lucachi2nd/

Since this store doesn't ship oversea, I need to find someone who could help to post it to me. I quickly reached to a friend who owns a record store called Tandang (physical and online) and he linked me to a friend in Vietnam, who's a Russian but now lived in Vietnam and plays in a crossover trash punk band called Cut Lon.

Tandang online store : https://www.tandangstore.com/

Cut Lon bandcamp : https://cutlon.bandcamp.com/

And not to miss all the replies and recommendations from @ehjie , @Redcarmoose and EVERYONE who've participated in this thread!

It's refreshing to experience that I could still rely on the network of audio and music community from throughout the world.

Thanks!

Congrats @Kejusan! I see your level of commitment & determination.
It was also good to know i helped a bit in the pushing part lols. You're welcome.
Enjoy your music...

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #75 of 81
Just an idea, for your future needs...
1607231226956.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back