Help me spend my Musician's Friend gift card!
Nov 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jones2289

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I'm relatively new to the world of quality headphones, and right now own a pair of Grado SR60is, which I added a Beyerdynamics headband and reverse quarter modded Sennheiser pads.  I really like them, and recently received a $50 gift card to Musician's Friend.

I will primarily be listening on my laptop, which is just a budget Toshiba with stock soundcard, or through an iPod.  The majority of my music is either low quality mp3 downloads, or the highest quality that I could rip a cd with on iTunes. 

I listen to a lot of classic and alternative rock, with some jazz and country thrown in here and there, as well as watching movies on Netflix.  I'm not looking for a tone of bass, just something with clean mids and highs.  Since the majority of my listening will be at home, I don't mind if they leak sound. 

I've been looking at the following, which don't really seem that similar:

Koss Portapro for $50
AKG K99 for $55
AKG K240 MKII for $75

It sounds like the 240s need an amp to really shine, and I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for them if it meant a considerable step up in sound quality.  I'm not really sure if I'm going to notice a huge difference in the "studio" type headphones, but was hoping someone could provide some guidance.

Sorry this is so long winded, but I would really appreciate some suggestions.  There's a ton of useful information around here, and I hope to contribute some myself once I get my feet wet.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 8
The Koss Portapro doesn't look like much, but it is musical and easy to enjoy.  Don't think you'd ever tire of them, frankly.  Also Koss has an unmatched guarantee.  You can read accounts, for example, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/182064/koss-lifetime-warranty

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 8
The K240 doesn't necessarily need an amp, but either way will be clearer than the PortaPro - which I think gets a little mushy on complex tracks and louder volumes. The K240 will maintain better separation and detail no matter the track or volume. 
If you think you'll ever need a headphone for the outdoors too, get the Portapro - they've got a very excitable sound like a Grado but with more bass and less fatigue: but if it's just a home thing, the K240 is a better choice. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey  jones2289.
I suggest that u buy something else with the card. You can get Ihome brand headphones that have the same quality sound as Logitec ue600 headphones. I believe that because I tested them being a owner of both and I believe that is almost a fact. The only difference between those and the ue things is in ear versus over ear and there is better cable life in the Ihome because the ue headphones have a cable frozen in a state of not being able to hold shape but no cuts in the cable if u follow their suggested storage rmethod. Those Ihome headphones only cost me $15.00 dollars btw. The sound is = to a $50 to $75.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hey  jones2289.
I suggest that u buy something else with the card. You can get Ihome brand headphones that have the same quality sound as Logitec ue600 headphones. I believe that because I tested them being a owner of both and I believe that is almost a fact. The only difference between those and the ue things is in ear versus over ear and there is better cable life in the Ihome because the ue headphones have a cable frozen in a state of not being able to hold shape but no cuts in the cable if u follow their suggested storage rmethod. Those Ihome headphones only cost me $15.00 dollars btw. The sound is = to a $50 to $75.

I listened to those once. It was awful. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 8
The K240 does not have a fun sound signature, it lacks punch with fast paced songs. Coming from grado, not sure if you'll like them. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 8
I know this is a old post, but I think is the best place to post this comment. I am looking for $250 in musician friend gift cards. If anyone has one, please send me a pm if you would like to sell yours for a reasonable price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back