help me spend my money! (Amp and DAC for K701s)
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
After over a year of owning these guys I think they deserve a nice home setup, especially now that I made my desk the best place to be in my room. I'd really like a DAC and an amp so I can run out of my laptop but if it would make more sense to spend more money on the amp I could use my ipod as the source, I really don't think I know enough about home amps yet to be sure without some opinions. I'd really really love to stay around $300 but I'm sure I could be talked up to $400 for the whole setup. If possible I'd love some budget options as well (under $200) just to see what my choices could be. Thanks guys
k701smile.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 86
I can recommend the KICAS Caliente for the 300$ price range. However there are tens of threads for recommendations for the k701, you can look it up your self and I'm sure you'll get an overwhelming amount of information...

Good luck on your search! Use google and head-fi bravely and you'll find your way.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 86
There is Head-Direct EF1 as well. A solid Hybrid and I can vouch for its decent compatibility with the K701. Compact (transportable), Competitively priced (should fit your budget if you get it used, or if you expand your budget a tad), and very versatile due to the ability to Tube roll (so you can get a warmer tube for K701 if you so desire, or make the highs come out more with a more detailed tube, etc).

Unfortunately, it has no DAC component, so that's its only downfall here (if you really do need a DAC, sounds like you do). In which case, you should consider the Audio-GD Compass. I haven't tried it myself, but it was designed with K701 as one of the test headphones and all the stories of K701/Compass compatibility has been good.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 86
If your laptop has an optical out Then I would suggest you look for an O1 Amp/Dac or the re-named version Octavart Amp/Dac. This is a sweet home amp/dac that you should be able to find for under $200.

You could also look into the iBasso D10 w/ HiFlight's top-kit of op-amps. Both could be had for about $350.

A third option would be a Devilsound DAC feeding an used Heed CanAmp, this will be pricer at around $550. I am a big fan of the Heed for the K701.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 86
Not to hijack this, but is the Zero DAC a good budget DAC option?

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend the KICAS Caliente for the 300$ price range. However there are tens of threads for recommendations for the k701, you can look it up your self and I'm sure you'll get an overwhelming amount of information...

Good luck on your search! Use google and head-fi bravely and you'll find your way.

Thanks! I've tried searching but I never seem to get anywhere with it, I think I'm just bad with searching
redface.gif

thanks for the opinions guys, I've heard the compass recommended for these before but it looks like their promo price just ended, at an extra $100 is it still worth it?

I've also heard the suggestion of a gamma-1 and CK2III, any opinions on that combo?

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 86
Just a sidenote, stretch your money as far as it'll go. Buy used and maybe be willing to wait for steals online. These cans really, to me, need as much power and source quality as you can muster. You'll thank me later, and you'll have a better relationship with them in the long run.

Also, if you haven't amped your 701s yet..you're in for a treat.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you haven't amped your 701s yet..you're in for a treat.

they've been amped with a hornet and that's it so I'm excited because although they sound beautiful it's clear that they need much more power then that little guy can offer.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I've tried searching but I never seem to get anywhere with it, I think I'm just bad with searching
redface.gif

thanks for the opinions guys, I've heard the compass recommended for these before but it looks like their promo price just ended, at an extra $100 is it still worth it?

I've also heard the suggestion of a gamma-1 and CK2III, any opinions on that combo?

Offer at the promo price. Things are tough and I doubt they have the volume to demand the increase. If they want to move a unit, they may be willing to sell it.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Offer at the promo price. Things are tough and I doubt they have the volume to demand the increase. If they want to move a unit, they may be willing to sell it.

I sent them an email last night saying I'd have to seriously think about it at the price they offered me, then just now sent one saying if they could offer the promo price I'd pay for it right now

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 86
CK2III sounds good with the 701s, and if you built one with the Gamma-1, you could get out for ~$300, if you are open to building. I know that the CK2III waas about $200 in parts, including everything. Don't know about the Gamma.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CK2III sounds good with the 701s, and if you built one with the Gamma-1, you could get out for ~$300, if you are open to building. I know that the CK2III waas about $200 in parts, including everything. Don't know about the Gamma.

I'd be kind of scared to build it on my own, my boyfriend has some experience but not a lot, how difficult are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back