Help me spend my gift certificate
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kellvyn

New Head-Fier
I recently got the gift of a $100 HeadRoom gift certificate. I'd like some advice on spending it.

I've been lurking for a while, so I know how frustrating it can be when people just ask something like "Is x or y better?" So let me try to give some context for my question. I listen to classical music almost exclusively, mostly chamber and choral. I usually listen on a 4G iPod through HD-280 pros without an amp. I've been thinking about building a CMoy but haven't gotten around to it yet. One of the things that I really enjoy about the Senns, and the cheap Ultimate Ears IEMs I sometimes use, is feeling like the artists are in front of me -- it was a very cool moment when I realized I could hear the valves on an oboe closing. But that may be the result of listening on something other than the stock earbuds, rather than the result of the Senns or UEs being especially good at that kind of thing.

After (too) much time browsing headphone.com, I think I've narrowed it down to either a Bithead or DT-880's. So I would be looking at one of two resulting setups:

1. Computer + Bithead + HD-280 pro (I already have the HD-280 pros.)
2. iPod + CMoy + DT-880 (I would build the CMoy.)

I realize that neither of these are $100, but I reasoned that I ought to use the gift certificate to help with the purchase of either a good amp or a good pair of headphones. Buying any other amp, or amp and DAC, from HR would be too expensive. The DT-880s seem like they fit my listening profile, and I assume that they're good enough to be very audibly better than the HD-280 pros.

Any advice? I'm not even sure if I should be posting this here, or in the full-size forum, or in the amp forum. If I should move it, let me know. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi! I listen to classical and chamber with a little choral, and I think you'd like the DT880.

If you're thinking about building your own amp, the CMoy is a great place to start. If you're experienced with building electronics, you might want to start with a nice kit. You can find nice ones here:

Glass Jar Audio : Home

and

Bottlehead.com

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey,
I have also been drooling over the 880s, but in your case without an Amp for the HD280s i personally would go for the bithead. Plus, whatever dac is in your laptop is probably not as good as the one in the bithead.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Howdy Kellvyn,

For computer listeners just getting into the sport, our HeadRoom TBH is great mobile-use amp/DAC at a fair price and will do justice to most quality headphones.

As far as headphones, the beyerdynamic DT880 sonically blow away the less expensive HD-280Pro across the board imho... However, their demanding high-impedance rating and low sensitivity coupled with their superbly accurate sound makes them a better candidate for use with our more powerful, precise, and reference-oriented HeadRoom Micro products.

CHEERS,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back