Help me silence my computer!!
May 25, 2005 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a lian li black pc65. There are 6 fans in the computer including the stock heatsink and fan of my p4. I just turned off five of them not including the cpu fan. After doing this, I could listen to my headphones at a lower volume with pleasure, where as before I had to listen loudly to counter the noise. It is now obvious that I need a new p4 heatsink and fan. I'm no overclocker and I just wan't silence. Also what are the quietest 80mm fans? Thanks.

May 25, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 44
theres this thing called the aerogate, its on newegg somewhere - its reallllllly badass looking, has a round screen, builtin internal microphone and controlls your fans - its about 60$ and id have one if i didnt find this place
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 44
I just silenced my Lian Li PC65

I got a vantec fanbus, and a bunch of 80mm panaflo L1A fans. I used a holesaw to cut a 120mm blowhole on the top of the case, and I run a 120mm fan at about 600RPM.

I'm using the Thermalright XP-90 heatsink, with a vantec stealth 92mm fan.
I unplugged my noisy geforce 6800 fan, and superglued a 92mm fan on there
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 44
if you want the most silent fan there is, then look at Papst. they are not cheap though, I got a couple of 80mm in my other comp and I hear absolutely no noise. if you're on a budget, then like what astro said, take a look at Panaflo's, almost as quiet as Papst but more affordable.

May 25, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 44
Your best bet is to direct your browser to: www.silentpcreview.com

Start with the following sections:

· Cases & Damping
· Power Supplies
· Cooling
· Fans & Controls
· Storage

Then read the recommended components list and finally proceed to read the forums.

You'll get a wealth of information and more than anything else, it's true and tested there.

Also, the people there are old hands at silecnding PCs and although some frequent here also, the combined expertise there is just well... how would I put this politely
smily_headphones1.gif

For discussion about audio reproduction, this is the place to be however
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 44
Sixerfan, don't worry about damping your computer. I have the same case and I'll tell you what I did. First I cut another exaust hole in the back (at least cut out the stock grill of the stock hole). I used 2 Panaflo's in the rear, as well as one more in the top blowhole. Then I picked up a 92mm adjustable Enermax fan and stuck that on top of my Thermalright (SLK-900 I think). Finally, a good VGA cooler on my 9700Pro and my computer was silent enough for me.

You might need something more quiet though, since your K1000's are a tad bit more open than my HD580's
k1000smile.gif
I'd just look into passivly cooling everything possible...

edit: Oh yeah, and my power supply is an Enermax with adjustable fan speeds. I have them on the lowest setting at all times.

May 25, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 44
I am going to use papst fans in the case. And now I just need to look into cpu heatsinks and fans. I want absolue silence. Thanks guys.

May 25, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 44
good choice
biggrin.gif
. now for the heatsink and fan, try the Zalman CNPS 7000/7700 variety. both comes in Aluminum/Copper hybrid, or pure copper. the difference in temps is only by a couple of degrees, and its very quiet. It was what I used before i went water
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed
good choice
biggrin.gif
. now for the heatsink and fan, try the Zalman CNPS 7000/7700 variety. both comes in Aluminum/Copper hybrid, or pure copper. the difference in temps is only by a couple of degrees, and its very quiet. It was what I used before i went water
wink.gif

I was using watercooling at first, but the heater core needed such a huge fan to cool the water down. I think the cpu was the waterblock back then.

May 25, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 44
I'm using watercooling (Koolance) for CPU, Northbridge and Ati 9800 xt, + 2 sharkoon silent 120mm for the rest (Antec P160 case).
Koolance Exos is easy to setup and lowers the noise pretty well. Exos 2 looks even better.

for 80mm try papst or Sharkoon

May 25, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 44
I am a regular member at SPCR (http://www.silentpcreview.com)

If your computer is not too intense, it will run fine with two 120mm fans contrary to belief, with NO INTAKE OR EXHAUST.

Four things you need to do :

1.) Swap your power supply for a Seasonic S12-430 (a given!)
2.) Swap the stock P4 heatsink for a Thermalright XP-120 (if it can fit), paired with a Nexus 120mm fan (the quietest fan on the market)
3.) Swap the stock heatsink + fan on your video card for a Zalman ZM-80D or a Zalman ZM-80C (depending on your video card; 9800+ and equivalent will require a D), paired with a Zalman ZM123 fan bracket also paired to another Nexus 120mm fan.

The two Nexus 120mm fans would be undervolted to 7v using an inline resistor or a rheobus, your choice. These are cheap, doesn't really matter.

Remove all your intake/exhaust fans. Unnecessary; I have a Lian Li PC75 (your case's bigger brother), no intake/outake, P4 3.2C @ 4.0, X800 Pro at 520/500, same setup as above and no overheating issues (3.2C is at 54C during gaming).

4.) After doing all this, your computer will be dead silent; the last thing is the hard drive. If you don't want to hear seeks or idle noise, you should invest in either a SmartDrive 2002 or a SilenX Luxurae (I have a Luxurae).

Good luck with your silencing endevaours, and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me or reply to this thread.
- Adrian Kwok.

EDIT : I read some of the posts above. You can undervolt a fan as much as you want, but there -will- be motor noise, I guarantee it. The Nexuses have the least out of all fans I have tested (I have over 10 120mm fans of different makes, Panaflo, SilenX, Coolermaster, etc). Panaflo is -ok-, nothing great. I would choose the new Coolermaster 120mm LED'd Sleeve Bearing fans over it in a flash, and over the Nexuses too if I were strapped for cash.

Note : if the 120mm Nexuses are too expensive for you, I suggest the 120mm Coolermaster SLEEVE BEARING fans (TLF-S12-EB), as they are very inexpensive and at 7v are acoustically equivalent to the Nexus, with no bearing noise. They are available in only LED versions, unfortunately.

EDIT AGAIN : Stay away from Vantec Stealths, SilenX fans, or anything NOT Nexus/Panaflo. Make sure if you go for the $8 Coolermasters that you go for the SLEEVE bearing, S12 model!

May 25, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 44
Here are some pictures of my quiet rig, equipped with the Coolermaster 120mm Sleeves. (My Nexuses are in my other rig which is in the other side of the country
eggosmile.gif
)

DSC01030%20copy.JPG

DSC01026%20copy.jpg

The biggest thing when doing a silent build is wire management; you're working with minimal airflow so you want NOTHING to impede the little draft you have. Note the lack of intake/exhaust, and the hard drive in a Luxurae at the bottom.

May 26, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 44
i think the easiest way to silence a computer has been overlooked...
A CLOSET, and a couple extension cables (monitor/usb)

if you don't have a closet.. then.. goodbye wallet
evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 44
Even easier way to silence the computer is GET RID OF THE CASE!
The case is trapping all that heat out, so you need noisy fans to circulate the hot air out.
Then you can build a computer that has NO FANS at ALL!

Get the Thermaltake Sonic Tower, a completely passive heatsink for your CPU.

Get a passive power supply, lots of these.

Buy a passive cooler for your graphics card, probably one of the zalman heatpipe coolers

VOILA, fanless/noiseless PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back