help me replace my SR80s pls...
Aug 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackinches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll consider that. A friend gave me these SR60s. He'd left them in a closet for ~5 years and the original pads were deteriorating. The foam was hard and crumbly and falling apart more each time I touched it, so I bought these bowls based on their supposedly better sound quality. I would've gone with the comfies if I'd known the cans were unwearable after 1-2 hours...

Will these sound much worse?

Yup; a lot of folks have problems with the wearability of the bowls. They do take a little persistence to finally get acclimated to. It takes a bit of time, but they can get to be quite comfortable after a while. I have the bowls on my MS2i, but I still have the reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1. I do find an improvement in SQ when changing from 414s to bowls on my MS-1, it really isn't all that significant, but it is there. I have no plans to swap out the 414s until they wear out, and since they're already a year and a half old and still look great except for some blue face paint one of the kids wore home from school one day, I suspect I won't be changing them for bowls for a long, long time.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 33
Thanks for all of the replies!

About my comment about the SR80 soundstage:
Well as you guys might have noticed I'm pretty much a newb in this business. I have not heard any better/more expensive headphones than my grados, so I have nothing to compare them to. And I happen to like the way they sound.

As for replacing the bowls in the SR80:
This might deal with the uncomfortable factor, but then the cans still leak sound. I'll just leave the SR80s for home usage....

The Beyerdynamics DT770:
These look really nice!! And they look VERY comfortable. I checked their prices and they seem to go for $150-$200. I'll definitively read some more reviews on these phones as they seem to fit the bill nicely

The Ultrasone 650:
Compared to the Beyers, these don't look as nice or as comfy. If anyone has them both, please feel free to comment on these matters. Plus, they are almost double the price of the Beyers, and I am not sure if they are worth it...

The Sennheiser HD-25-1:
I've read quite a bit of reviews about these phones, and people seem to agree that they have the best quality for their price range (around $200) in their application (closed cup). However, there seems also to be the consensus that they are uncomfortable as the headband presses on the ears... since I'll be wearing these for extended periods of time, maybe they are not the best option??

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 33
I always felt the SR-80's were a lot better sounding, and certainly more comfortable with the flat pads. They are 100% worth a try and worth the investment. Give them a shot.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by andres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD-25-1:
I've read quite a bit of reviews about these phones, and people seem to agree that they have the best quality for their price range (around $200) in their application (closed cup). However, there seems also to be the consensus that they are uncomfortable as the headband presses on the ears... since I'll be wearing these for extended periods of time, maybe they are not the best option??

You can bend the headband to open it up a bit. The velour pads they now ship with also make them more comfortable. I can wear them for hours without discomfort and with the isolation, you can forget about your surroundings and just get lost in the music...

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #21 of 33
Man...just stick with the SR80's.

You'll save a lot of money and still enjoy the music.

See my signature?

Even after all of that I STILL listen to the SR80's by choice at least 10% of the time (thru my laptop's cheesy headphone jack).

You know what, its fun! You're not missing that much!

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #22 of 33
May I ask what in particular you find uncomfortable about the bowls? For me, the problem was that the driver screen sat right on my ear. I fixed this by putting px100 pads on under the bowls, and now they're actually very comfortable. You could do something similar with any earpad-type headphone pad, or even a cutout from a very thin sheet of foam (or fabric?)

Edit: the px100 pads get stretched out by doing this, so only attempt it if you've got a spare set.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 33
I know it would be a logistical nightmare, but wouldn't it be nice if Grado offered Bowls in three sizes! One for smaller ears so they wouldn't fall inside. One standard size for ears like mine which fit perfectly, and another set for folks with larger ears so the foam wouldn't sit on a delicate part of the outer ear.

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 33
Thanks for all the help so far!!

I´ll definitively keep my Grados, but for home use where I dont have to worry about isolation.

I have already bought the Beyerdynamics DT770-80. After reading tons of reviews about them, they seem to have what Im looking for: pretty good isolation and very comfortable. Plus, ppl have said that they have good bass, which is just about the only thing I would change to the Grados...

Looking forward to try them out, unamped out of my lappy!!! If that doesnt satisfy me, then I guess Ill start shopping for an amp-DAC combo!!

Andres.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 33
I just noticed something about the dt770s that I bought.... they are the ones with the black cups... but as I was looking at more reviews, I noticed that there is a newer model with the gray cups, and a carrying bag and such... did I buy a discontinued model????

The weird thing is that at their website I only see a pic for the black cup phones...

Im
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by andres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the help so far!!

I´ll definitively keep my Grados, but for home use where I dont have to worry about isolation.

I have already bought the Beyerdynamics DT770-80. After reading tons of reviews about them, they seem to have what Im looking for: pretty good isolation and very comfortable. Plus, ppl have said that they have good bass, which is just about the only thing I would change to the Grados...

Looking forward to try them out, unamped out of my lappy!!! If that doesnt satisfy me, then I guess Ill start shopping for an amp-DAC combo!!

Andres.

For isolation, try a pair of Ultrasone PROline 750's or Denon D2000's.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #27 of 33
And the best amp-dac combo in your price range is the Headroom Total Bithead.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #28 of 33
get flats or HD414 pads

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"soundstage on sr80" ... that's a first

to me the SR80's a much better 3D soundstage then the other SR's I listened to (SR60-225's) at http://www.hawthornestereo.com/

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #30 of 33
Man...DO NOT knock the SR80's.

If they had wood cups and cost $500 more, I think a lot of people would still be happy with them. Maybe moreso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back