Help me replace my Sony e507 with similar SQ..
May 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sarcastik

New Head-Fier
I've had a Sony NW-E507 for 3 years now. 1gb of space is extremely restrictive but I havent upgraded because I love it. Paired with my Senn 212pro's it delivers beautiful deep bass without droning, its not at all harsh, its solid as a rock and I dont have to look at the damn thing to change songs or albums. I also like the sound stage. Then theres the massive battery life.

I've just bought a NWZ-E438F as it was cheap and every review always mentions great SQ. I figured it would be as good as the E507. I hate it. I find it harsh, closed in and theres barely any punch to the low range. I've listened to it for a full 2 hours - its going on ebay.

Please help me find a player which has similar characteristics to the E507. Preferably under US$170. I realise the purists will think i just love over exaggerated bass, but that isnt the case at all. If there is another model with even 2gb space that sounds the same/similar/better I will be a very hapy man. Cheers
icon10.gif

May 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 4
I've got the E507 & E005 (2GB) flash players. The E507 is the closest I've heard to the warmer sound of Sony's HiMD - even closer than the A1300 8GB HDD player. My present A829 is pretty good (using AAC300 or better) and at AAC350 it's a rough equivalent (to my ears, anyway) to ATRAC3+ 352kbps. The sound is a little cooler - on par with the 005 but a fuller sound - and judging from what I hear/read on these boards, that may be as close as it gets. Good luck.

May 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 4
thanks for the reply. I listened to my sisters s615 yesterday and fiddled with the EQ and service menu, its close, but the stage feels closed in like the e438 i bought. The 82x seems to have what im looking for, but they are a little pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back