help me pick out a shirt and tie for my new suit!
Jun 29, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello friends,

My cousin is getting married in September, and I bought a suit to wear for the wedding (and for future use - I'm 19 and this is my first suit)

So, I already bought the suit, and had it altered.

It's a very dark navy blue, with a slight vertical pinstripe, which is a light bluish-greyish color.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

I was recommended to try a light blue shirt, and a deep red tie. But that, IMO, looked very boring and conservative, like something a 50 year old would wear. I don't like how the red tie contrasts so strongly with the blue.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of what would look good.

I was thinking about trying a light grey/silver shirt and a dark blue tie. Or vice versa.

I'm not opposed to an odd color, if it will look nice. I just hate how what I have now looks like I put on a suit, then randomly selected a tie that doesn't match.

I want to either do a monochrome type thing, i.e. all blue/grey. or, if i do a bright color tie, i want to do a shirt that's a lighter shade of the tie. i.e. if bright [color] tie is going to look nice, then i'll do a pastel [color] shirt.

So, any suggestions?

edit - also, forgot to mention, I need an extra long tie, and a 19 neck, 36-37 arm, extra tall shirt. in case i wasn't demanding enough.
but I am in Hudson county NJ... so if there are any suggestions for local stores, I'm open.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 12
i wore a similar suit with a blue shirt and a white/silver tie... i think it looked pretty nice. also i think the tie is supposed to be a little bit longer.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 12
I've said it before, but a nice white shirt and a tie with a thick, dark (plum) purple-and-grey stripe would be bold, but not completely out there. Good job on the colour choice, you got a nice and versatile first suit.

and ditto on tpc41's remark, the point should be much closer to the buckle.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Congrats on the first suit; good choice. For a wedding, I'd say go with a white shirt and a tie in the mint-green family. Keep it subtle and light.

Btw, if you're gonna do interviews down the road, go with a white or pink shirt and a wine/burgundy tie. One crucial change, though: Dark shoes in the brown/cordovan family. It'll look like you're wearing a different suit. Hope this helps…good luck.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Light blue or pink fine striped shirt. Yellow, summer-pattern tie (flowers or something like that). Or, for the fall, a blue shirt and knit tie. The suit is rather conservative and it is a day of celebration so the tie should stand out. If you can get a long enough tie, try a full windsor knot. The knot in the picture is rather small for your frame. Also, you MUST get some better shoes. And match the belt to the shoes. Perhaps replace the belt for a standard buckle style (as it is now, the metal stands out a bit to much against the dark suit). Wear a nice watch or no watch at all (no "sports watches").

Pull your pants up, get a haircut, shave. Your sister will love you forever!

I'm not an authority on sartorial matters, but for some reason I have lots of suggestions. Take it or leave it. Spend the extra $ (hit up the family) to get a very high quality shirt, tie, shoes and belt. You won't regret it and you will look good for a 19 year old.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Light blue or pink fine striped shirt. Yellow, summer-pattern tie (flowers or something like that). Or, for the fall, a blue shirt and knit tie. The suit is rather conservative and it is a day of celebration so the tie should stand out. If you can get a long enough tie, try a full windsor knot. The knot in the picture is rather small for your frame. Also, you MUST get some better shoes. And match the belt to the shoes. Perhaps replace the belt for a standard buckle style (as it is now, the metal stands out a bit to much against the dark suit). Wear a nice watch or no watch at all (no "sports watches").

Pull your pants up, get a haircut, shave. Your sister will love you forever!

I'm not an authority on sartorial matters, but for some reason I have lots of suggestions. Take it or leave it. Spend the extra $ (hit up the family) to get a very high quality shirt, tie, shoes and belt. You won't regret it and you will look good for a 19 year old.

Agree with most of this especially the shoes and belt and the Knot, I would stick with a plain white shirt with a pink or light purple. Always fasten the suit up but leave the bottom button open ( until later in the day when you've had a few drinks and won't care anyway ).

You will feel 100 times better on the day and maybe even put the groom to shame.

Show us the pics after the big day. Don't forget the Shoes and belt.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 12
I was watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (UK) awhile back and most of the people that wore ties wore them really short like that.. I don't know if it's a different style or what, but yeah, your tie should be longer.

I have like the combo of a silver or blue shirt with a green tie w/ some blue accents in it. Of course, since I made my own tie/shirt combo thread a few weeks back, I'm definitely no expert.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 12
thick blue & metallic purple tie on a darker blue shirt; i used the pratt knot
at 19 you a might not be finished changing so buy another one at ~22

n139801096_30211573_6230.jpg
n139801096_30211575_6905.jpg

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 12
And please do wear only black socks, or at least very dark with a dark suit! Worst thing is white with a dark suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back