Help me pick my third pair!
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Fush

Head-Fier
I'm doing some upgrading of my portable audio equipment this summer. At the moment, my list looks like this:

Sources
Sony NW-HD5
Sony PSP

Amplifiers
Xtra X-1 Pro (on it's way in the mail as we speak)

Headphones
Sennheiser PX-100
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7
+ two other pairs that I doubt will get much use anymore.

I am happy with the sources, and looking forward to try the amp as soon as it arrives. But I'm looking for a third pair of headphones. Currently I use the ANC7's at work and in planes, etc. The PX-100 are great for traveling light. But I do also want a high-end set that can be used in quieter enviroments. I'm talking about something along the lines of the Sennheiser HD650, etc. It should be able to give me the best audio experience in my home, at work when the office is quiet, etc. I mainly listen to rock, jazz, pop, trip-hop, some electronica and such. What are my options here? Any suggestions are welcome. And my wallet is doing fine.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 27
Having never heard them myself, I would say the TakeT H2. We need more people to post impressions anyway to make more and more people order them!

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 27
Although I've never tried any electrostatic headphones, I think that these are out of the question. I don't doubt that they sound good, but looks play a role, and they are just plain ugly, sorry to say... And yeah, I DO have a budget. The prize of the HD650 is probably as high as I am willing to go.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 27
An electrostatic option then with a budget would be an SRD-X Pro amp (fully portable, can run on batteries or power supply) running a Stax SR-001 Mk2 through an [AK]Zip Stax 5 Pin adapter.

Or, if you read Duggeh's review, maybe the TakeT H2 is a worthwhile option?
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 27
I am primarily looking for dynamic headphones such as the HD650 or the higher end models of the other well known manufacurers. AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica etc. do all have some interesting options.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 27
Not much response to this thread yet... I'm just looking to buy some of the most popular cans here. What do you recommend between the Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990, Audio Technica A(D)700/900, Grado RS1 and AKG K701? I know that these cans have been discussed extensively in numerous threads here, but if nothing else, could someone please make a summary of the pros and cons of the respective 'phones? My possibilities for testing these myself are pretty limited where I live, so I need some insight from this forum to rely on.
wink.gif
Thanks!

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I do also want a high-end set that can be used in quieter enviroments.

The Stax SR-007 maybe? Or the 4070 if you need a closed headphone.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stax SR-007 maybe? Or the 4070 if you need a closed headphone.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, if only they looked better. And were a bit cheaper. And could be used with a normal portable amp...

Men takk for tipset!
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 27
If you plan on getting a HD 650 or similar headphones (RS 1, K701 etc) then you'd have to upgrade the rest of your equipment. Their potential will be restricted through the HD5 and X1

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, if only they looked better. And were a bit cheaper. And could be used with a normal portable amp...

Men takk for tipset!
wink.gif

Fair enough!
Ok, looks are all up to the beholder. But their price might ne out of reach for some, and they are certainly not for use with portable amplifiers.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on getting a HD 650 or similar headphones (RS 1, K701 etc) then you'd have to upgrade the rest of your equipment. Their potential will be restricted through the HD5 and X1

I hear you, and I know that this is a common view. But I believe that the speakers is the most important part in any audio system, and I'm prepared to devote my resources into upgrading them first. And I do also believe that the HD650 (for instance) would give a significant upgrade in SQ from my current phones.

Where would you say that the HD5 and X1-Pro are lacking, by the way? How far up the headphone ladder would you say I could go, before the limitations of my amp and source truly begin to appear?

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 27
You're running speakers out of your HD5/PSP?
blink.gif
Like proper full size or desktop ones?

I think about the HD 650 level would show the deficiency of your source and amp, but not too sure. Planning on actually getting one just for the sake of it
blink.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're running speakers out of your HD5/PSP?
blink.gif
Like proper full size or desktop ones?

No
smily_headphones1.gif
Just the phones you see in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back