Help me pick from one of these headphones
Nov 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
I edited this from the original thread. basically I have my headphones choices narrowed down but I can't get a clear answer and I need some help. Right now I'm using the Sennheiser HD 485s and I love them to death but I would like more bass without it being too muddy and a better soundstage.  After doing a lot of research and asking around I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50s, Shure SRH440s, and the AKG K-240s. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, some of the bands I listen to often are Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Kid Cudi, Kanye West, and I'd like a phone that can handle all of these different genres pretty well. 

I would add a poll if possible.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it would be from the HD485s, but I'm using my pair of 555s unamped and they still sound great. I imagine if amped, they would probably sound even better.
smily_headphones1.gif
The 'phones also sound pretty good just hooked up straight to my Ipod Nano.

As for the bass, I'd say the bass of the 555s is more laid-back than punchy, but definitely not lacking.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 16
Don't spend the extra cash on the HD-595.  The HD-555 has the same drivers, and a simple foam removal mod will make them identical.  Also, the 555 is super-cheap right now.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Don't spend the extra cash on the HD-595.  The HD-555 has the same drivers, and a simple foam removal mod will make them identical.  Also, the 555 is super-cheap right now.

true. it's a fairly easy mod and there's even a youtube video on it. the hd 555's price has also dropped; since it's upgrade, the hd 558 just came out.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_audiophile-headphones_504631

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

How is the bass with the HD 555s? I've read that it has good bass response but other people have said it's been lacking.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 16
they have good bass. it's kind of an odd bass though. the very bottom end is stronger than the mid-bass. i've heard them though, my dad has them and they sound pretty good.

Quote:
I was also looking at the Senn HD 280s, do these have a good amount of bass?

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 16
I went to Guitar Center today and took a look at the AT M50s, but the guy at the counter told me the Shure SRH440s were a better deal and he would pick them over the ATH. How are they bass wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back