Mar 24, 2006 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jayB

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Looking for some input as to what IC would folks reccomend for this system;

Meridian 588
RSA HR-2
Senn 650's W/Cardas

I listen to all types of music rock, jazz, some classical, etc..

One thing I can't stand is the bright, harsh sound so many CD's seem to have. I bought my other equpiment with this in mind, but I still find some sources too bright for my tastes. I'm using some higher end (For Monster) Monster IC's right now, and want to step up to something this equipment deserves. I'd like something on the warm side, very listenable, but without all the details smudged out..willing to spend up to say $500 max. New or used. What would YOU use in this case?

Any suggestions appreciated!
580smile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 7
I like the venhaus spectrum cables. They come with a 2 month money back guarentee. I was not a big fan of the wolff ic and feel that all cardas cables are overpriced.

Biggie.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayB
I still find some sources too bright for my tastes. I'm using some higher end (For Monster) Monster IC's right now, and want to step up to something this equipment deserves. I'd like something on the warm side, very listenable, but without all the details smudged out..

Any suggestions appreciated!
580smile.gif

No matter how good your cables and CDP/DAC, you will always find "some sources" too bright. Actually, it's probably not "brightness" as in too much treble quantity relative to other frequencies, but a certain grainy, choppy, non-continuous, hardness that resides in low-treble to upper-midrange area in poorly-produced CD's.

If the actual treble proper (>13-14 kHz) has a lot of output, sound actually tends to be airier, smoother, more relaxing IME.

What you want is a CDP/DAC that faithfully passes all the information in the low-treble to upper-midrange without exacerbating the flaws in that region. You then want your cables to pass as much info without exacerbating this area and pass the high treble without rolling off the air.

Believe me. I've gone throught the same merry-go-round many times in my past. Trying to find cables that "do" certain things or cover up other problems in the recording or system, or "warm up" things will ultimately be unsatisfying in the end, not to mention costing more money eventually.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I like the venhaus spectrum cables. They come with a 2 month money back guarentee. I was not a big fan of the wolff ic and feel that all cardas cables are overpriced.

Biggie.

what didn't u like about the wolffs?

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the input guys, I know no cable is magically going to make bad recordings sound great, but I value everyone's thoughts here, and am looking to upgrade my IC's, so I figured where better to get some input!

Keep the answers coming..
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back