Help me pick a new Toy?
May 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Groog

New Head-Fier
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I've stuck it here for now.

I'm looking to buy a new headphone related toy. I'm (probably) looking for either a DAC or a new set of headphones (HD600/650 perhaps?).

I figured I would ask the community what they think would be a good additional to what I have already.

At the moment I have a single pair of 250 Ohm DT880s that I share between by living room setup (TV/movies) and my desktop (games). I think they're bloody fantastic, but I'd like something new.

Under my TV I have a PS3 and a media player (HiMedia 900A) that both connect to a JVC SU-DH1 that acts as my DAC. I bought the DH1 for its dolby headphone effect. This then connects to a Little Dot Mk 3. I feel like the DAC area of that chain could be improved. As I am impressed by the Little Dot amp I though the LD DAC_1 would be a good upgrade? However, unless you guys heavily recommend a DAC I figure a new set of completely different headphones would be good too. What do you think?

My desktop has a Asus Xonar D2X which I plug my DT880s straight into. It does a great job of driving them, but I'm sure the setup could be improved?

Finally, I don't listen to music much through either of these setups, I do that on-the-go. So I'm looking for new toys that lend themselves more to movies and games. Any suggestions? Budget is flexible.

May 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I must have been too wordy...

Would a Little Dot DAC_I or a pair of HD600/650s be more fun/better?!

The HD 600/650 are hard to drive.  I think you will need an amp with your computer for those to work well.  However, I'm CD & vinyl old school and someone like PurpleAngel can give you a more definitive answer.

May 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
My HD 600's are my favourite all-rounder headphone, but they're not really "more fun" than the DT 880's. They're pretty neutral.
They are similar enough to the DT 880's, that I would pass on them.
Haven't heard the HD 650's, but from what I've read they don't "lend themselves more to movies and games" as you ask.

I love the deep sub bass of the Denon Dx000 line, so there's a suggestion. These pair real well with a Little Dot I+.
Also, the DT 990's are great sounding headphones. They would be fantastic for big cinema sounding movies.

May 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 6
In my opinion for games and movies HD650 will be ok, but they're verry veiled and listening to music on it will be hard particularly that you now have more transparent dt880. Maybe Shure SRH940?

May 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try and find somewhere to listen to the Denons and Shures I think. Easier said than done in Scotland though...

No one has suggested getting a DAC. I can understand that it won't be as "fun" as a new set of headphones, but will it improve my set up? I'm pretty inexperienced with DACs, not sure how much benefit they bring to the party?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back