help me pick a mattress
Mar 14, 2007 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so i need a cheap comfortable sleep. i'm a big guy; 6foot, 250lbs

right now i have a really crappy twin mattress that's all jacked up, paid $40 for it and it was in the back of my truck for my road-trip, but now i'm settled and it sucks
rolleyes.gif

so, i'm thinking of getting some memory foam and putting it on the ground, i'm not interested in a bedframe, never flat enough for me, and don't want to pay for it. on the ground, asian-style for me all the way
smily_headphones1.gif

so here's two thoughts:

http://www.overstock.com/?page=profr...202133#reviews
buy a king of that and cut it in two to have 8inches of 38x80; it comes in a pack of two; i also get pillows which is nice, i've had those pillows and they're pretty decent

http://www.overstock.com/?page=profr...163611#reviews
i could get whatever size (queen probably for me), 8inches (two stacked), but i'm a bit weary of the egg-shell thing

i like foam
smily_headphones1.gif
i bought a topper like the first option from overstock before, and it was good, albeit not the best quality, and never quit gets as big as it should. anyway, for this price it's hard to beat

i can also get 10% off my order with a coupon and possible fatcash from fatwallet

anyway, if you have other ideas, i'm all ears. i don't want to spend much over a c-note. the other option which is also pretty good would be to look around for a used mattress, though sleeping on a used mattress sort of urks me, and i like with foam how i can transport it easily anywhere; i'll move appt's in a year and i'm making sure than nothing i get can't fit in my ford explorer
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I move around quite a bit so I needed a rather transportable mattress also. While it might be above your budget, why don't you give a real Japanese futon a shot? I bought a twin about 1 year ago and i find it the most comfortable thing to sleep on, more comfortable than a normal mattress in fact.

It took a very long time to find a Japanese style one. (You can probably guess what pops up when you try to search for "futon")

I got mine from here
http://www.jlifeinternational.com/ho...lifefuton.html

It is actually a little thicker than the one's I've slept in in Japan, so it's very comfortable.

They are quite plush and dense but the material is very breathable. I like this as I tend to get warm as I sleep. Rolls/folds up quite nicely whenever I need to move. Very well made and will last you a very long time.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 6
thanks; i actually slept on a similar (albeit not as high quality) cotton-filled futon (was part of a couch/bed but i just took the pad and put it on the ground) for about a year. i'm not terribly happy with cotton/poly fill; so far i think memory foam is my favorite. i do really like the style of those though.

another thing i like about the mem-foam stacked is that i can take a couple layers, throw in the back of my truck, and sleep in it. i traveled from so-cal to canada and back, sleeping in my explorer (with the lousy mattress before-mentioned) and it's a blast
smily_headphones1.gif
as long as the cops don't wake you up at 2am when you're trying to have a peaceful sleep on the top of the MGM grand parking structure in vegas
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
yeah........

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 6
One of the best beds I had was a loft in college. It was just a layer of foam over plywood. Sounds awful, but was comfortable and I always slept well on it. I have a regular mattress (Serta) now, but I still sleep on the floor occasionally. If I ever get sore (no real back problems, though) nothing sorts it out like a night on the floor. Strange, but it works.

If you have a few hand tools, you could knock off a simple platform. Also, upholstery/fabric stores sell nice foam and will cut it to shape for you.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 6
I've done some reading recently, and chose the Novafoam mattress topper from Costco. It's a dual-layer design. It has a layer of microfiber on top of the memory foam to improve breathability. If you're directly on top of the foam, you might have to deal with heat build-up. The fiber layer can help to distribute heat evenly.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Memory foam is awesome. I have a memory foam mattress and its the best mattress I have ever had by miles. I'm big too 6'2" and 106 kgs and I don't siturb my partner at all.

BUT most of the retail memory foam mattresses have a layer of ordinary foam. The solid memory foam mattresses can be quite hard. Different makers use different memory foam densities which effects hardness. If possible you should see if you can try it out.

If I were you I'd get a piece of memory foam and piece of normal foam and put one on top of the other. I'd also get someone to make a cover to go around the lot so they stay together while you're lying on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back