Help me pick a DAP
Apr 9, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 29

It will be used solely with my ER4s's.  I basically only use it when traveling, which isn't all that much, so I cant really justify spending more than maybe $300.  As far as sound goes Id ideally like it to sound good.  Haha, really though, I want good sound but I doesn't need to be reference grade by any means.  My Library is pretty much all 16/44 FLAC files. 

Is there anything newer thats better in this price range?  I can put up with a mediocre UI if its not a complete PITA.  If I can't get my files to play obviously thats a deal breaker. I want at least 128 gigs of memory, if it has to be on multiple SD cards thats ok.  SQ wise I think something on par with the x3 is all I'm looking for.  Battery life doesn't need to be crazy, maybe 8 hours min. I don't really care about most features, no desire for EQ.  Really just looking for good SQ, a decent build and a acceptable UI.

Any suggestions? 

I have a set of the Etymotics that I use with most of my players and have (or have demoed) several DAPs that fit the criteria.  

IBasso has a new player DX80 and another forthcoming, but DX80 is out of your budget and is still has a couple rough edges in the UI department.  The sound is excellent though.

The Fiio X3ii is a fine choice with a decent UI and solid sound quality if you prefer the warm Fiio sound.  Another choice with a slick UI and (IMO) better sound is the Sony A series.  Good battery life and takes SD card.  I also like the Lotoo Paw 5000, but I never demoed it with my Etymotics - player is solid and has good sound, but has an odd UI that would take some getting used to. 

You then drop to the list of players that have good sound with other compromises - the Xudoo x3, any of the Colorfly players, and Xuelin770c.

Lots of other choices out there too.  Best of luck.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 29
  I have a set of the Etymotics that I use with most of my players and have (or have demoed) several DAPs that fit the criteria.  

IBasso has a new player DX80 and another forthcoming, but DX80 is out of your budget and is still has a couple rough edges in the UI department.  The sound is excellent though.

The Fiio X3ii is a fine choice with a decent UI and solid sound quality if you prefer the warm Fiio sound.  Another choice with a slick UI and (IMO) better sound is the Sony A series.  Good battery life and takes SD card.  I also like the Lotoo Paw 5000, but I never demoed it with my Etymotics - player is solid and has good sound, but has an odd UI that would take some getting used to. 

You then drop to the list of players that have good sound with other compromises - the Xudoo x3, any of the Colorfly players, and Xuelin770c.

Are you referring to the Sony a17?  How did its sound signature compare to the x3 ii?  Was it a good match for the Ety's? Sufficient power?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 29
I still have functional iPod classic and recently bought X3 II. Its UI wasn't that bad for me. It is not as easy nor intuitive as iPod Classic but I got used to it real quickly. I might not like the ER4S with X3 II without an external amp but ER4P will be very nice for that DAP. If you have a chance to get replacement cable for ER4 to change S to P mode, I think you might like the combo. Did you like the ER4S with iPod Classic without an external amp? When I listen to ER4S with my iPod Classic, I have always used with an external amp. If you liked your iPod Classic with ER4S without an external amp previously, I think it will be fine with X3 II as well. Good luck with your search.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 29
  Are you referring to the Sony a17?  How did its sound signature compare to the x3 ii?  Was it a good match for the Ety's? Sufficient power?

Thanks!

It was the A15, but there is a newer A25 model which I believe has better hi-res file support.  I find the Fiio sound warmer than the Sony and I like the equalizer on the Sony better, and thus sound is easier to tailor.

As far as the power to drive the Etys, I am going to let someone else chime in - I don't listen to my music very loud or in noise-filled situations usually.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 29
I still have functional iPod classic and recently bought X3 II. Its UI wasn't that bad for me. It is not as easy nor intuitive as iPod Classic but I got used to it real quickly. I might not like the ER4S with X3 II without an external amp but ER4P will be very nice for that DAP. If you have a chance to get replacement cable for ER4 to change S to P mode, I think you might like the combo. Did you like the ER4S with iPod Classic without an external amp? When I listen to ER4S with my iPod Classic, I have always used with an external amp. If you liked your iPod Classic with ER4S without an external amp previously, I think it will be fine with X3 II as well. Good luck with your search.

I have been using an amp with my iPod classic. The er4s definitely sound thin and lifeless directly off the classic. Is the x3 really not much of an improvement on the amp side over an iPod classic?

iPod classic is something like 30mw at 24ohms, the x3 II 200mw at 32ohms, seems like that would make a difference.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #21 of 29

Which etymotics do you have?

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #24 of 29
Ibasso DX90 is back on Massdrop.  Seems like it would be a good match power wise, ER4S max input= 3Vrms, DX90 2.8Vrms.  Anyone tried this combo?

EDIT: Geez, it looks like this is another neutral-bright DAP.  Once gain maybe not the best match?

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #25 of 29
@nickwin

Don't get discourage by my comment regarding ER4S with X3 II without an external amp. This DAP is sounding much better than iPod Classic without an external amp. If you forget about all these getting extra sound quality with an amp, etc., after about 10 minutes or so listening to music, you will totally immerse in your music and  you can just simply enjoy. If you worry about X3 UI compare to iPod Classic, don't worry about it so much. You will soon enjoy its sound quality even without an external amp. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 29
Cool, and you thought the DAPs you mentioned powered them sufficiently with the S adapter?

That is why I mentioned that I don't listen overly loud to my music - I am just not the right person to ask about these players driving the 4S to sufficient levels for more noisy situations.  That is where the Sony probably won't be the best choice.  I think that I took the adapter off the Etys to use the Sony and a player like the Colorfly C3.

I see that you posted in the Etymotic thread - good idea to see what people are using daily with the 4S.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 29
I haven't tried it single-ended - only 1/4 of the power balanced.  The 2-pin cables don't fit the ER4S, buy the eBay guy also sells ER4 to 2-pin adapters. My previous experiments with the Pono single-ended were not very satisfying on any IEMs or headphones that are difficult to drive (I think the ER4S fits in this category) - it's like a different device when balanced.

Would you say that Pono balanced was significantly better than the x3ii for the Er4S? Enough to jusify 2x the price?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 29
Would you say that Pono balanced was significantly better than the x3ii for the Er4S? Enough to jusify 2x the price?

Thanks

The Pono has a weird shape, doesn't have a folder view (which really pisses me off), has only one card slot (ditto) and uses goofy dual-3.5mm cables for balanced (like Sony PHA-3).  On the other hand, in balanced mode, it has lots of power and sounds great, which outweighs all of the other stuff. So for me, the answer is yes.  YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back