Help me organize my room!
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
1227928143-current-room-layout-png-37kb.png

That's what it's like currently but maybe there's a better way to use the space?

It's a very very small room (2m by 3m). I would prefer to keep the cupboard doors mostly accessible, so not too much stuff in front. The desk being used currently (with my computer, receiver, center speaker on it) isn't a corner desk. It's a small desk jammed into a corner. The two armchairs are rather large and take up most of the room, but I need to keep them or have some sort armchair, for movie watching.

The MSPaint picture isn't perfectly to size and makes the room look bigger than it is, so take it just as a guide.

What do you recommend I do?

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 17
That might work... But I don't think the chairs would fit properly.

The scale on my drawing isn't very good...

Maybe these photo's will help.

From about where the cupboards are.
3066635327_1357963ece_o.jpg

Another one from where the cupboards are, lower to show the floorspace.
3067475408_40c58af2cd_o.jpg

From about where the sub is in my picture.
3066635437_3fd087f5ec_o.jpg

So I'm not sure if there would be enough room for the big chair and the desk like that...

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 17
I say craft some freestanding speaker stands so you can surround yourself with the speakers... and it looks like you're gonna have some problems cramming all that chair in that space without having problems moving around.

But then again, this is coming from a guy that would sleep on the floor if it meant having excellent speaker positioning.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say craft some freestanding speaker stands so you can surround yourself with the speakers... and it looks like you're gonna have some problems cramming all that chair in that space without having problems moving around.

But then again, this is coming from a guy that would sleep on the floor if it meant having excellent speaker positioning.
biggrin.gif

The chairs are a bit big... Maybe I could sell them and buy some smaller ones? But then it probably wouldn't be as comfortable...

Why freestanding stands? I've got shelves and window sills around that they can sit on. I think the positioning isn't too bad right now, just the front left is a bit close to the rear left...

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 17
how about this?
room.jpg

also, have you considered removing one of the chairs? Do you use both of them often?

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 17
Do you need two chairs? Could save a lot of space by getting rid of one.

Edit: too slow
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 17
Like I said, I would gladly sacrevice a bed for optimal speaker positioning.

Having one speaker closer to you changes the percieved space and you'd need to boost the farthest speakers to have the same SPL's you do from all the other speakers. Also, I believe the closer you have the speakers, the better the details.

I've sat in some very comfotable small chairs... You could also opt for something like bean bag chairs if your friends aren't going to watch you play.

I suggest reading up on home theatre speaker positioning guides andseeing if you could adapt them to your room. If I have time, I might be able to do a to scale model of your room... but that is a big maybe.

EDIT: This is what I mean:
Quote:

remember that the goal of all speaker placement for movie soundtrack playback and multichannel music reproduction -- even stereo -- is a smooth, consistent and unbroken soundstage across the front, coupled with a sense of envelopment in the ambient surround effects.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about this?

also, have you considered removing one of the chairs? Do you use both of them often?

That would work pretty well if it weren't for the door... I don't think I'd be able to get inside with a chair there
wink.gif
Both chairs side by side are about the width of the room.

Quote:

Like I said, I would gladly sacrevice a bed for optimal speaker positioning.

Having one speaker closer to you changes the percieved space and you'd need to boost the farthest speakers to have the same SPL's you do from all the other speakers. Also, I believe the closer you have the speakers, the better the details.

I've sat in some very comfotable small chairs... You could also opt for something like bean bag chairs if your friends aren't going to watch you play.

I suggest reading up on home theatre speaker positioning guides andseeing if you could adapt them to your room. If I have time, I might be able to do a to scale model of your room... but that is a big maybe.

EDIT: This is what I mean:

I see... Well I dunno. I think I do need both chairs since sometimes me mum want's to watch TV in there while I am.

I agree getting smaller chairs would free up A LOT of space. What type of small chair are you talking about?

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 17
Well, you should try going for some thinner chairs that aren't so wide, but are still comfortable to sit in.

Alternatively, you could go for a corner setup like this:

129026.jpg

which may work, but I didn't do any mesurements, so I wouldn't know exactly.

Don't forget that if your sub is crossed low enough (80-90Hz) that you may be able to get away with putting it behind something.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Well, you should try going for some thinner chairs that aren't so wide, but are still comfortable to sit in.

Alternatively, you could go for a corner setup like this:

129026.jpg

which may work, but I didn't do any mesurements, so I wouldn't know exactly.

Don't forget that if your sub is crossed low enough (80-90Hz) that you may be able to get away with putting it behind something.

Don't think the corner setup would work in such a small room... Maybe with smaller chairs.

I suppose I'll go chair shopping some time. That would make a lot of these suggestions doable.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, if I find time tommorow I think I'll be able to pull it all together and do a nice arrangement that would work for your room.

The only problem is that I'd need mesurements for everything.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Well, if I find time tommorow I think I'll be able to pull it all together and do a nice arrangement that would work for your room.

The only problem is that I'd need mesurements for everything.

That would be really nice
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll go find the tape measure...
beerchug.gif

Edit:

1227944037-current-room-layout-png-38kb.png

That's a better picture of the room size. It seems to have like a little indentation bit...

As for the size of the objects...

Desk with computer on it: 840mm (w) x 1220mm (h) x 390mm (d), has a sliding keyboard thing that extends the depth to 640mm
Bookshelf (used for storage of other stuff, not books): 780mm x 990mm x 270mm
Chairs: 950mm x 950mm x 950mm :)O)
Corner desk: 780mm x 700mm x 520mm

Anything else you need or is that good?
biggrin.gif

Also, I don't really use the corner desk much. It was made especially to fit that curved wall so I probably should be using it... Maybe I could move the computer onto it? Only problem would be it's not very big...

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 17
1228111389-room-arrangement-1-png-13kb.png

Sorry for the double post....

I was thinking about if I got rid of that desk. I could do an arrangement like that... Maybe that would work better? Black dots are speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back