Help me make an input/output switcher.
Nov 16, 2002 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Help me make this input seletor! I looked around but could not find what I was looking for under $200. Basicly I want to conect five pairs of RCA conectors to a selector switch, then to another switch with conected to two outputs. I want to select between my audio sources and my two outputs, wich happen to be an intergraded amp (OLD, off e-bay. In the mail i hope) and a MG Head (in the mail). This is a list of what I think I need, corect me if im wrong :

7 pairs of RCA plugs. 5 in, 2 out.
two swiches, one with 5 selections the other with two
some wire
sodering iron
soder
work box
strobe light, oh wait cross that off.

I know I can get all these parts at radio shack, but im thinking thats a bad thing
smily_headphones1.gif
What brands are good and were do I get them? I want to spend between 100-200$ The less the better, but I want good sound. I have used the sodering iron once or twice, so I have little experience. Also it would be nice if the project box was 17inch wide to match my setup, but cetanly not a deal breaker.

Thanks all! My system is finaly comming together!

EDIT: It might be nice to intergrate this with this

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Hmmm... I'm a n00b too but to my eye that doesn't sound too hard at all.

As I understand it the circuit would have to:
1) Switch the r/l inputs to the signal line with a 5-position switch.
2) Switch the signal line to one of two r/l outputs.

That should be pretty easy to do. I'm not sure where you will find stereo 5-position switches. (FSDP?)

Anyway, I was wondering will you be preserving the ground throughout the system. (i.e. will the signal ground of an input be the same as the signal ground of the output) I think that I read that maintaining the signal ground is important but I could be wrong.

As for the switches DACT makes a really nice high-end solution... I'll see if I can find some linky for you one that.

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 6
ground? no idea. I have done some solder work but I know nothing about electronics. Would you mind explaining it to me. Thanks. Also, i can live with 4 inputs if needed.

EDIT: JESUS! A dact 5 input selector is 70$ for one! wow thats allot! it better last a long time! oh well, costs allot to get the best. I supose I could use a rocker/togle switch for output.

Ok, I have the input switcher. now were do I get the cable, rca plugs, soder (what kind is good?) and nice togle switch.

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by PAGEFAULT
ground? no idea. I have done some solder work but I know nothing about electronics. Would you mind explaining it to me. Thanks. Also, i can live with 4 inputs if needed.

Let me see if I can explain it better. Each RCA jack has two parts to it... The internal barrel is the part that carries the signal and the external part is what carries the ground. (The ground is the voltage point that the signal is relative to) Thus each component actually puts out two connections for each channel.

The obvious way to build a switch like yours would be to have the signal line run to the switch and the ground simply run to the switch-box's ground. I thought that for signal quality you were supposed to switch the ground line along with the signal... but the more I think about it the less sense that makes so unless someone else can confirm it, just ignore me on that.

Anyway, in terms of jacks you have a lot of choices. People on this board seem to really respect the Neutric (spelling?) and Cardas jacks. They are quite expensive though.

The RCA jacks at www.digikey.com are far cheaper and I've heard people say that they are decent.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 6
For your parts choices:

Get a 1U rackmount chassis at www.lansing-enclosures.com. You want the "Gray Box" product. They are beautiful cases...spend $100 for a nice one.

For RCA jacks, you can't go wrong with the Dayton Audio ones at www.partsexpress.com. They'll run you about $4.80 a pair in your quantity.

You could use a DPDT toggle switch (about $4) to switch between outputs, and a rotary switch to switch between inputs. Mount the rotary switch at the rear of the box and use a shaft extension (Welborne Labs has one) so you can mount your knob at the front of the box.

With this beautiful box, you'll also be able to expand your setup later e.g. add more inputs, volume control, etc

Nov 17, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 6
What kind of wire should I use? or just get some cheap copper wire from radio shack? and some dome good togle switch brands. Thanks!

EDIT: I was thinkin, do I need two DPDT toggle switches? One for each output? Or should I just have all the grounds conected to all the inputs or outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back