Help me learn to play guitar. Know any good books?
post-206289
Post #1 of 6

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good instructional book for learning guitar. I know a few easy chords, but I want a book that will take me beyond beginner level so I feel more comfortable with my instrument. Anyone have a recommendation? By the way, I'm playing on an old classical acoustic guitar.

post-206333
Post #2 of 6

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Reaction score
What do you want to play, exactly? A book might help with learning classical guitar, but I think the best way to learn popular guitar is to just play what you enjoy. Also, playing with more experienced people always helps too. Another thing to keep in mind is not to underestimate the power of listening... listen before you start playing. It'll make things much easier when you actually start trying to play something. Once you get familiar enough with chords and your own strumming style, then maybe get a book to teach you some basic music theory style stuff, and then you can move into learning how to solo and scale theories and such.

Then again, that's just the way I've done it. I don't know of any stellar books, but I haven't really used any. So maybe there is something out there that will help... sorry if this post didn't help you.

post-206352
Post #3 of 6

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
There's a large selection of interactive cd-rom guitar lessons available now which are more like private lessons, and more interesting than reading a book.

Check out some music stores to see what's available.

post-206456
Post #4 of 6

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Okay. I just wanted to know if there were any essential books that all beginning guitarist should own. Doesn't sound like it.

post-206505
Post #5 of 6

skippy

Making Grados better through surgery.
Reaction score
playing classical guitar is a bit different from playing a steel string acoustic or an electric.

an old books is enough to teach you the basics, but there are tons of websites around that have the same info personally i learned music theory before i started playing... it made understanding the guitar a lot easier for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)